Hello! I was reading an article in a magazine and there I ran into honeymooners disease but I couldn’t figure out what it was. Sounds funny! Is there anybody who could tell me more about this disease? Thx

Honeymooners disease is another name for urinary tract infections. They affect mostly women and may be sexually transmitted. They’re caused by bacteria spread from the rectum to the vagina or penis, and then to the urethra and bladder. What a person feels is frequent urge to pee and burning pain while urinating. Lower abdominal or back pain or blood in urine may also be present. These infections are usually treated with antibiotics but may as well return.

Hello there,

Yes it sounds funny when you say honeymooners disease instead of urinary tract infections. Probably they have done some kind of research and they have figured it out that very often this condition appears during the honeymoon.  

Usually the symptoms of this condition are: frequent urge to pea, burning and sometimes even itching sensation during urination, and sometimes even blood in your urine and back pain.

If you experience something like this you definitely need to visit your doctor because UTI can’t be treated with some over the counter medication. After certain tests your doctor will prescribe you antibiotics and symptoms of UTI should be gone in a few days. Reoccurrence is always possible but building up your immune system can help in prevention.