My sister has severe cold and has to take tussnex in treatment of cough. She avoids taking this medicine because she thinks that it causes addiction, as she said that she read. I think that addiction can not be caused in 7 days of using tussnex. Or it can? It seems to me like she has to take prescribed drug because she doesn’t feel well at all.

Tussionex is combination of antihistamine chlorpheniramine and hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is responsible for addiction in this combination, because is narcotic. When used as a short term relief of pain, it is not likely to be habit forming. Indication for hydrocodein is cough, because it works as central antitussive agent. Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine, that has sedative activity and drying effect, it decreases production of mucus. Tussionex is approved to be used as cough suppressant, and is even used in children over the age of 6. I guess that this would make your sister take her medication.

I had my own ordeal with it and I ended up in the ER. Tussnex has opium in it too so it can really wig you out if you take too much. Plus I think it contains some form of latex, which I happen to be allergic to. The doctors told me to just sleep it off and put me outta work for two days. Oh, and of course they told me to not take it anymore. So stick with cough drops, they are way safer.