I hope someone out there can help. i had a bad bronchitis with bad cough starting dec 22 through jan 2007. finally the cough went away. about three days after that i began either asleep or awake having my throat tighten and feel like it is closing to the point that i cannot breathe or can barely breathe. it awakens me from a dead sleep, i gasp for what feels like my life to get a breath in. i went to my doctor, the one who had put me on Avelox for my bronchitis. He said it was probably just globus hystericus and just to stay calm. he said that it will always calm down and go away, but sometimes my gasping/not breathing episodes last for what feel like 30 seconds to a minute. i am scared one of these times i am going to pass out. my husband each time stands beside me waiting to see if he needs to call an ambulance. the doctor says it can be related to stress, but i really do not have any stress at the present time. it all started after the bronchitis?? I had a barium swallow and the doctor doing the study said he could see no problems, but said he had globus hystericus in medical school. he said it eventually goes away. this has been two weeks though for me and when these episodes occur i think i am not going to be able to breathe and my kids witness a very scary episode. anyone had this or have a suggestion? thank you.

Hello, I had bronquitis recently, so I hope I can be alittle bit of help to you. I have been always very healthy but about 1 month and a week ago I got a flu, it ended up in bronquitis. Just like you I had cough at first and then it went away, my Dr. says I am ok now, but I don't feel quite normal, sometimes I feel tightness of breath, I think it comes mainly at night when I start thinking about my situation and sometimes I think that I will never fully recover or develop other desease because it's been a long time and it won't go away totally. What has worked for me is the following: I talked to 2 people who had accute bronquitis and went trough this situation for more than two months to fully recover, so if they cured We will cure as well, start thinking possitive like that, be condident that you are not the only person in this situation and if others could make it so can you. Believe me it is not a chronic situation, it will pass. Now other advice that has helped me alot, is to eat alot of radish, I feel I can breath really good and I almost feel since I started eating radished almost 3 times a day. I don't know why but they are very good. Finally let me tell you God has showed me alot of things I need to change these days in my life, so I think you should try to lean what God is telling you with this test. I will be praying for you, the Bible says God is the one who takes us out of the well of desperation, and someday close you will remember He was the one who took you out and gave you peace and health. Bye.

I think your problem may be related to the fact that you are breathing thru your mount and when your throat gets dry it become sore
I think after your bronchitis you developed a sinius infection which
tends to last longer than the bronchitis
You might get a doctor to look at your sinuses or if you tap lightly
on the areas around your upper nose and it hurts this can tell you

you might try warm moist air at your bedside

hi V
Did you overcome your night problems? I really this was a couple of years ago but I am now on my second acute attack - last winter was my first and persisted for weeks and because the phlegm was really rattly and i was coughing much more at night to shift it, my throat felt like it closed too although not once the attack has properly subsided. I do, however, think that a terrifying air limiting attack of bronchitis is so frightening that, for ages after, you are in a panic every time it feels you cannot breathe. My husband also threw me into the back of his car and tore to the A&E dept of a very local hospital on more than one occasion when i could not catch my breath on my hands and knees - awful! I dont think mine has ever truly been right although i have had weeks at a time when i have felt well. However, here we are again one year later and ive had two weeks of respiratory tract infection followed by, so far, 11 days of bronchitis. I have had antibiotics for the apparent underlying infection, but have to sit out the bronchitis like everyone else - steam inhaling, sucking lozenges and drinking ginger tea and or water to keep it loose. I am hoping you have recovered and it was a horrible period of your life which is now in the past. Everyone I know who has suffered with this states that they live in fear of the next bout when each cough and cold roll around. I do have flu jabs for whatever good they might be.
I have read interesting work being done with minute particles of silver which are inhaled using a nebulizer and kill all the infection and desensitise lungs to many diseases - has anyone else heard about this? What are peoples thoughts? It certainly seems that the medical profession just tell you it will pass, live with it! I would really like to avoid a third year of this if anyone has any tried and tested ideas.
Sara

I had that same problem a few years ago. They finally decided I was having laryngeal spasms. Do you wheeze with these episodes? I was a mess for 6 weeks, then they went away. Ativan was given to relax the throat. It helped. The panic is the worst. Try to slow the breathing down by inhaling through the nose and slowly breathing out like you are blowing out a candle. Good luck.

I thought I was going to die from it cs my dr. never told me that the shortness of breath was going to happen and I have anxiety. Don't eat meat, dairy, and greasy food. It makes more mucus. Drink a lots of water to get rid of mucus. Close your mouth at night and when u feel that ur throat is getting dry, drink water. You will not die frm it cs u r breathing frm ur nose. Calm down and don't panick. I used to do that. Don't use the halls .gargle warm water with salt and lemon, the lemon cuts the mucus. Shower under hot water it loosens the mucus. Drink hot ginger tea with lemon and honey. Fresh ginger its a antiflamatory. At night use Vicks in ur chest,back bottom of ur feet ,throat and nose. Your body will feel hot but u'll be ok.