Hello dont know if anyone can help but had  happened nearly 9 times one of these episode was recently on  last night .

I go to sleep as normal and then in middle of deep sleep I cant able to breath suddenly which wakes me up , dont know if that stops me breathing or my body/mind is trying to wake me up as i cant breath. so i suddenly awake, and then panic, i cant breath at all, it all feels blocked in my chest, no air at all, i am gasping for breath trying to get a little bit in, i start coughing, some air goes in, i cough and cough for ages, like everything is irriitated and i have to cough, there is this stuff going down the back of my throat too, cant taste it, but think stuck like its a reaction to the coughing. I  don’t know what is the reason for it .

this is so frightening when it happens i cant breath and think what if i dont start breathing i will die. i could not ring anyone i cant get my breath, i just gasp for breath trying to get some in and cough, cough, with all this stuff going down the back of my throat.

what is happening? please suggest me a solution for this problem .can anyone advise, or have a similar problem. I am a 47 year old man, dont smoke, dont drink,and I don’t have any bad habits so I kindly request to suggest me a solution.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

bye for now, hope someone will chat and reply and can share our experiences

Ok, this is going to be long, but here goes.

You could be experiencing sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. You may have sleep apnea if you snore loudly and you feel tired even after a full night's sleep. 

There are two main types of sleep apnea:

Obstructive sleep apnea, the more common form that occurs when throat muscles relax

Central sleep apnea, which occurs when your brain doesn't send proper signals to the muscles that control breathing

If you think you might have sleep apnea, see your doctor. Treatment is necessary to avoid heart problems and other complications.

If you wake up every morning needing to hack up lots of thick mucus, or have throat pain, hoarseness, or a chronic cough, you’re not alone. You may think it’s the beginning of a cold, but a cold doesn't continue for weeks to months without progressing into the full-blown viral symptoms.

Instead, these symptoms are the beginnings of the most common throat problem sleep apnea sufferers face. It can be a very hard problem to treat.

People with obstructive sleep apnea are more prone to breathing problems at night due to partial or total collapse of one or more areas of the entire upper airway, from the nose to the tongue. It’s usually worse when on your back, since the tongue can fall back more in this position. During deep sleep, your muscles naturally relax and you’ll be more susceptible to breathing stoppages.

Pressure sensors placed inside sleep apnea patients reveal that every time an apnea occurs, a tremendous vacuum effect is created inside the chest and throat, which literally suctions up your normal stomach juices into your esophagus and throat.

What comes up into your throat is not only acid, but also bile, digestive enzymes, and even bacteria. So what comes up can cause severe irritation in your throat, provoking the mucous secreting glands of your throat to try to dilute these substances.

Although people generally attribute throat mucous to post-nasal drip, in most cases there’s nothing dripping down the back of the throat. It’s actually coming from your stomach. However, in some cases, since your stomach juices can reach your nose, it can cause nasal congestion and inflammation, which can aggravate tongue and soft palate collapse by creating a vacuum effect downstream. Ultimately, it’s a vicious cycle.

Besides not eating late and avoiding alcohol close to bedtime, both of which contribute to the problem, what else can you do?

If your doctor diagnoses you with obstructive sleep apnea, you may be treated via either CPAP, oral appliances, or even with surgery. The problem is that no matter which option you choose, there will always be some degree of reflux. Taking acid reflux medications can help sometimes, but for the most part, these reflux medications don’t really do anything for reflux. All they do is to lower the acid content  before it comes up into your throat.

Other options include stimulating your stomach via natural remedies or prescription medications to empty your stomach much faster. One fascinating study showed that using a combination of pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) and a pro-motility agent (domperidone) eliminated snoring in most people. Unfortunately, we don’t have the equivalent of domperidone here in the US. Other similar medications are available, but have more serious side effects.

This is why eating early at least 3-4 hours of bedtime is so important whether or not you have obstructive sleep apnea. The same also applies to alcohol. If your nose is stuffy, talk with your doctor to find a way to breathe better through your nose. Make sure you’re sleeping in your preferred or optimal sleep position. Lastly, work with your sleep physician to fully optimize your sleep apnea treatment, no matter which option you choose.