Hey all. I was suffering from a very deep and dry cough for 2 weeks that was so bad my stomach hurt. My doc gave me z pack and xopenex. 5 days later I felt better but one morning and everyday since then, I cough deep and my throat literally closes to the point that I'm weezing and hyperventilating and could only breath out of my nose. It goes away after 30-45 seconds. Now 2 weeks later (3 weeks sick overall) the incidences are fewer but it's still happening. The weird thing is, I look into my mouth when i'm struggling to breathe and my throat is unobstructed. I can only imagine it's in my easophagus. Any ideas would be appreciated.

i have exact same problem ive just stopped smoking after getting another chest infection but 3 weeks on im struggling to breathe like never before when i cough. ive completed a course of antibiotics 2 days ago and its not clearing up....

I'm betting it might be a laryngospasm. I was experiencing the same symptoms and very confused. I found message boards with others with the same symptoms who were diagnosed with tons of different things unhelpfully until receiving the laryngospasm diagnosis. Perhaps this is true for both of you as well?

It happens with the laryngeal cords spasm, and though very scary will relax eventually, especially if you calm yourself (as best as possible) and try breathing through your nose. This is just my advice as that is what worked for me, but look into it, and check with your doctor. I was told the worst thing that can happen is a person will pass out and then the throat will relax. If the condition is serious, an Ear/Nose/Throat specialist can help, do tests, and also there is a machine they use for sleep apnea that also helps with this condition for sleeping.

What are probable causes of this cough? I only smoke the occasional joint, is it possibly the cause?

Hi

I am 14 years old and have never smoked and 3 weeks ago i had a really bad cough just as you have said.
during the time of this deep and dry cough after each time i had cough i could hardly breath since then the cough
is gone but every time i do cough its had to breath.

so if anyone has any ideas on how to fix please let me know

thanks mat

First its not safe to give your age and name on sites like these. Second I have been having a similar problem. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction but I have never had one before except to Amoxicillin. But out of no where I feel like my throat goes dry and it causes me to cough. As I am coughing my throat starts to close making it hard for me to breath. It is getting worse and I am starting to worry that It might stop me from breathing and I will die. Dramatic I know but I looked up the laryngospasm and the thing is that I can't breath in or out which is not how the laryngospasm is suppose to affect you. Anyway if there are any new ideas please let me know.

Hooping cough gives you the restricted breath after coughing fits. When I had a bout my long trusted doctor didn't initially diagnose it but after insisting that I wasn't happy being unable to breath after a bout of coughing he sent me for the hooping cough test along with my 5 year old daughter who had the start of a cough. On the way home from the test lab I had a call from the infectious diseases department confirming that my daughter and I both had hooping cough. Ask your doctor for the test if this sounds like you.

Having same symptoms. Went to doctor and ER, treatments haven't helped. Wondering what came of it all after you posted this. Did it just gradually go away, or was someone able to diagnose and treat?

That happend to me like 1 hour ago and i goT dissy and started To shake as if i was gonna faint and i got really scared and idont know what to do im scaeed it might happen again i had to walkout of my class the other day because i was feeling da same 

My husband's going through this now. Had to be taken by ambulance on Tuesday because he passed out at work and was turning blue.... After a bunch of test, a breathing treatment and a solumedrol shot. They sent us home saying its bronchitis.
Well he's still feeling bad and just about 20 minutes ago he awoke from sleep gasping and couldn't breath again... Now says it like something was in his throat and taste acidy .
Were making apt to ent.....this is too scary

I have the exactly same symptoms. I am not sure about you others but i don't feel sick at all except for this cough.

I smoke sometimes but i am definitely not a heavy smoker. Recently i have started to smoke less, could this be one of the reasons?

I don't really want to go to the doctors if it isn't an emergency. Would be grateful if any of you who wrote about this previously could let us know how it went and if the cough disappeared.

Thanks

this link might help .. I hope I did it right but check out the article that's called "11 Surprising Symptoms of Acid Reflux ... I am still dealing with a deep, nasty, almost asthmatic cough. It takes my breath away and it sounds so scary. I have been told I have acid reflux and I thought I was over it but I guess it really never goes away.. Please look up anything on acid reflux .. I find that when I am consistent in taking an OTC Omeprazole it keeps it away and for some reason keeping my feet warm. Please see a Dr. of course , and good luck .

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20529772,00.html

this link might help .. I hope I did it right but check out the article that's called "11 Surprising Symptoms of Acid Reflux ...
I am still dealing with a deep, nasty, almost asthmatic cough. It takes my breath away and it sounds so scary. I have been told I have acid reflux and I thought I was over it but I guess it really never goes away.. Please look up anything on acid reflux .. I find that when I am consistent in taking an OTC Omeprazole it keeps it away and for some reason keeping my feet warm.

Please see a Dr. of course , and good luck .

ok what i meant was the Omeprazole keeps the cough down ... and when I get cold the cough gets worse so I try to make sure I keep my feet warm ... sorry about that post my writing skills are rusty

Sounds like almost everyone in here has what I got. Dr. Told me its whooping cough aka pertussis. Look it up. The symptoms are the same. I had to see a couple Drs because at first they said its allergies than bronchitis. But after a test and a few Drs later I was diagnosed with Pertussis (whooping cough)