Hi, my son has a terrible cough. He has a cold that the doctor treats with some antibiotics. However, I don't see that they are helping him. In fact, I think that his condition is getting worse. The doctor says that I worry too much. I have heard that if a cold lasts too long it can transform into acute bronchitis. Can you tell me what the symptoms of acute bronchitis are, so that I could know what to pay attention to?

Hi, acute bronchitis is an illness that every one of us got over at some point in our lives. It is mostly caused by viruses that cause colds. So, it is true that untreated colds can pass into bronchitis. The viruses cause the inflammation of bronchial tree. The bronchial tree is made out of airway canals that in acute bronchitis swell and narrow because of the increased mucus production. This is why the patient with acute bronchitis has trouble breathing. A person with acute bronchitis has a severe cough and makes a whistling sound when breathing. But, I think that your son's doctor is right and that you are overreacting. Acute bronchitis is as I said mainly caused by viruses. If your son is taking antibiotics it means that his cold is caused by bacteria and this type of infection very rarely transforms into acute bronchitis.