Is it possible to get typhus from contact with people? I would like to know more about this disease and transmission because someone close to me has developed it and I am afraid that I may get it as well. I would also like to know what the symptoms are, so I can pay attention if something weird starts happening to me. Thx

Hi there! You shouldn’t worry that much. Typhus is not spread from person to person. People get it from rats actually when their fleas contaminate human skin wounds. It is rats and mice that harbor the germ that causes disease. Fleas get infected by biting these animals and then may pass the disease to humans. Symptoms include fever, headache, chills, and general pains that are followed by a rash. The rash can affect the whole body except for the face, palms, and soles of the feet. Actually, there are a couple of forms of typhus but I am aware of this one called typhus fever and it is rare in USA. An infected person gets antibiotics for treatment.