Hey everyone,

I have a problem. Just recently I noticed that there is something weird in my dog’s poop. There are some small white pieces in his stool that I have never seen before. And they are also stuck in the fur underneath his tail.

After searching through the internet about these little white things in his poop, I came to the conclusion that my dog has tapeworms. I know nothing about this issue and I have no idea how did my dog get them. I keep him clean, wash him every three days and keep his water and food clean.

So can anyone tell me how does a dog get tapeworms?

Hey Ruby,

My dog had these tapeworms once. It is actually just one worm, you known. And the small pieces that you see are the pieces of it.

The good thing about this is that it is not dangerous at all. The only bad thing is that it is a lot itchy for your dog and that’s all.

Tapeworms are usually ingested through adult fleas. These fleas often contain tapeworm larvae. Other than that, it can be ingested by eating rabbits, birds or rodents. They can all have this larvae in them.

Scavenging can also lead to an infestation of tapeworms. I think that the treatment is pretty easy for this matter, too.

Hey guys,

No need to be scared about this, Ruby. It’s not so common but it’s nothing dangerous. It gets really easy to treat this, too. The treatment is usually given by injection or by oral medications. These medications are very effective at removing the tapeworms from the dog’s body.

When it comes to the causes, it is caused by ingesting one the possible transmitters of tapeworms, and the fleas are the most common one. You can’t do much to prevent this rather than avoiding the place where you think that your dog could have gotten them in the first place.

Hey guys,

Ruby, are you living somewhere near the sea, a lake or near a swamp? These fleas containing tapeworm larvae are usually seen around places with big amounts of water around. Not rivers, though.

These fleas are the main transmitters of tapeworms, as others have already told you. Some other animals could have them too, but rarely.

And as they already told you, this is not a dangerous thing. This worm typically settles in the small intestine.

The only thing is that you need to treat it fast in case it’s a zoonotic disease. Sometimes it is, sometimes it’s not, it depends of the tapeworm specie.

Hello there.

Your dog can get tapeworms from food and infected water. Those are the most common cases. Tapeworms can be found in anal sac or in the feces of the animal. That is why you need to observe your dog’s stool and you should always check are there some worms. You can recognize it, trust me.

You can get tapeworms from your dog but I am not sure can your dog get tapeworms form you. I would not talk about it because I am not sure :)

You should also know that worms can cause a variety of health problems in dogs and that is why you need to react soon.

Hey everyone. No need to be scared about it at all. It happens all the time to both – cats and dogs. It is not dangerous and it is treatable. No need for you to panic :)

Maybe your dog was in contact with some other pet who had tapeworms? There is a huge possibility and it can happen.

Maybe he ate something that was not good for his digestive system, maybe food was bad, and maybe he ate some leftover on the street? You can never tell.

Just go and visit your vet and ask him to prescribe some medication for this. Trust me, your dog will be fine for a couple of days.

Hey. I totally agree that this disease is probably passed from another pet. How dogs get infected by tapeworms it depends. They all are parasites because they feed off dogs instead living on their own. Tapeworms are all around us, around your dog but they usually enter a dog’s body when your pet eats infected feces, carrion, soil and even raw meet.
So you feed your dog with raw meet?
If you do, that could be the reason.
Simple hygiene and medications can help.
Don’t worry it is very treatable and it is very common. Sometimes you can’t do anything to stop this infection.