It’s been almost a week since I noticed that my son’s palms and soles of feet are red and swollen. I took him to see a doctor and he suspects that this is symptom of Kawasaki disease. He will do more check to be sure. I have never heard about this disease. As they explained to me that is some kind viral infection. How it is possible that my son got it? Please tell me more about it! I am very worried.

I am sorry to tell you but it is not clear what causes Kawasaki disease. There is belief that virus might be responsible. It is very uncomfortable illness, since it causes fever and inflammation of many tissues. Swollen palms and soles of feet are one of many possible symptoms. Each child may experience symptoms differently. Other symptoms are: swollen lymph glands in the neck, dry, red, cracked lips, swollen, painful joints etc. But symptoms of Kawasaki disease may resemble to other medical problems.