I recently had an abortion on the 21st of April. I started my birth control (nuvaring) 8 days later. I had unprotected sex on the 28th, 30th, 1st of May, and 2nd of May. I was told by my doctor that I could have sex right away after the abortion as well as the fact that the birth control would work immidiately once taken.

Though as I began researching I have learned that you should not have sex soon after an abortion and that birth control is not effective right away. Thus, posing the question could I have gotten myself pregnant again?

With that said, I am in need of medical advice, and not that of religous and or personal opion. I appreciate everyones input!

Thank you!

Hi Hanna! The insert states that if you did not use contraception before the Nuvaring works immediately! The ONLY date that worries me is the 28th, as you stated that you started the nuvaring 8 days after the 21st - 29th! I think your doctor telling you that you could have sex right away he meant PROTECTED - as he would assume that you would have already figured that out! Having unprotected sex right after a birth, abortion, miscarriage, etopic pregnancy, even surgery INCREASES your chances of being pregnant SUBSTANTIALLY! Like I said the 28th is the only day i'm worried about! Are you sure the ring was inserted on the 29th?

Hello and thank you!

I actually did start the nuva ring on the 28th, so would this mean that I have been protected?

Kindly!

WHEW!!! Yes it states that you are protected immediately if you have not been on any other type of BC - such as the pill etc - as the ring has different combination of hormones and you would need to be protected till your body gets used to the new BC! So good luck honey!