The doctor said do not have sex for 2 weeks after an abortion...why is the wait so long?

The clinic I work at tells women to wait one week, but many places can tell women to wait up to 3 weeks.

Why is the wait so long?

Your cervix was dilated for the abortion, and you need to wait unitl it has closed back up to prevent infection. ALSO, becoming pregnant again after an abortion is super easy, so they ususally like you to wait until the re-check when they can give you birth control...

The minimum we reccomend is 1 week, and we reccomend using condoms to prevent infection.

so after one week we have sex but we wear condom , is that okay and safety?

Hello there,

So, I have one question.. you just had an abortion, how come you even think about sex after something like that? It doesn’t make any sense that you want to have sex so quick after you just went through one pretty traumatic event because you were careless.

Also, not using protection after abortion is high risk. You can get pregnant very easily, again, because you are more open after the abortion (it is the same case after the delivery). I would recommend that you wait at least three weeks.

My best friend had abortion two years ago and she didn’t have sex for quite some time after that. She has broken up with the guy who make her pregnant because she didn’t want to be with someone who was that careless.

genvieve - It's wonderful that you are so enlightened to bestow upon her your knowledge.

It may not have been very tramatic for her and to suggest otherwise is .... well, uninformed.

Just a side note about your "friend"... last time I checked it takes TWO to get pregnant and to blame the BF for being careless is quite frankly immature.

wow talk about heartless.... have you had an abortion? no your friend did and the fact the she broke up with him because he was so "careless" and couldnt be with someone like that is kinda crazy considering the fact that she didnt tell him to wrap that sh*t up either..... people heal different ways and you dont even know why she had an abortion. it could have been for a number of reasons like she had health problems carrying the baby, maybe something was wrong with the child and it wouldnt survive after birth. anyway dont judge someone for something you have never had to go through.

I agree with this post so much x

I personally think that's very rude and harsh to call someone careless for having an abortion. You have no idea what the circumstances were and how hard it is to come to the decision of abortion. When you're with your partner for a long time,eventually you stop using condoms(at least some couples do) and birth control isn't 100% fool proof so things happen. Or maybe she initially wanted to get pregnant but her partner decided he wasn't ready or they couldn't handle it financially. Either way,whatever the circumstance was,there are A LOT of different reasons to have an abortion and it's a very difficult decision. And having sex after the fact doesn't make you CARELESS, it just means that you're trying to move on and keep the emotional,physical and mental state of your relationship from crumbling or changing because after an abortion things can become awquard which can make it hard for some couples to get close or look at each other the same way again so intimacy is used as a way to communicate to each other without words that you still love each other and aren't mad or resentful. Anyway,all that to say that careless IS NOT a word that should be used here and clearly he person who left that post hasn't been through an abortion or feels better judging and belittling others for making a decision that has a level of gravity that most people DO NOT understand without going through it themselves. So please,choose your words carefully next time because you have no idea how your post might have possibly affected the person you directed it to.

hello genvieve, if the icebreaker is interested to have sex after her miscarriage whats your problem. why do you think that the miscarriage has happened because of her carelessness. miscarriage sometimes happens when the ovum or featus is unfit to grow its not just because of carelessness. you understand

your friend was just as careless as the guy she was having unprotected sex with. it takes two too tango as well as make a baby. she allowed him to enter her with out a condom or with out her being on birth control so she should grow up and take responsibilty. and theres nothing wrong with wanting to have sex after an abortion. sometimes people make mistakes and face the consequences and learn from it to go about having sex with alot more sense.

you say she didn't want to be with someone "who was that careless"..Don't you think your friend was just as careless? I'm pretty sure when she became pregnant that wasn't the first time they had unprotected sex.

You have no idea how people feel when they consider abortion. It is not fair for you to judge people like that. Choose your words, and don't be too quick to judge others.

your judgemental, may not have been from being careless? may have been a flaw in the contraception.

I had an abortion, but not because i was careless, but because I'm finanically stable enough to support a child and the dad didn't want anything to do with it, so I had an abortion, but in my mind I lost it, as I don't like the word abortion or termination... But I had sex 2 days after, it was protected, I had the surgical termination, which means that i am meant to be bleeding, but I'm not bleeding so thought what the hell, and I felt perfectly find afterwards.

Genvieve, You're such a cunty s***.