i just recently starting taking birth control and my boyfriend and i had unprotected sex, but i've been off on my timing for taking them (4-5 hours late on a few occasions). Should we be concerned because of timing in taking them?

Really, you should aim to take the pill at the same time every day. If you do forget to take a pill you should take it as soon as you remember it. As long as you take a pill within 12 hours of your usual time you should still be protected but if you regularly forget them, this could reduce the effectiveness of the pill against pregnancy. I am also on the pill and I find that its easiest to remember if I take it at nights when I'm usually at home. Btw, if you started the pill packet on the first day of the period, you will be protected from that day. Remember though, if in doubt, consult your GP who can provide you with more accurate information. Good luck =)