Since giving birth to my son 19 months ago (vaginal delivery with use of mid cavity forceps), I just dont feel like I am even nearly back to normal. My perenial area feels constantly swollen and there is a slight lack of sensation. This causes problems when I go to the toilet. The other problem is that I feel that my vagina has been left "too open" after my stitches - its twice the size it originally was. I showed the nurse at the family planning clinic and she agreed completely with me about the repair job to my vagina and recommended I see my GP. My GP says that I am normal! I don't believe this. I feel like I have been butchered.

get a second, third or fourth opinion if need be! you probably were butchered!

My baby is now 4 months old, and i feel the same way...makes me feel better that i am not the only one..i go to the doc next Wed Aug.2nd

try to do some kegil exercises. I had to get a episiotomy and also had that loose feeling. Just do your kegil exercises and your vagina will tighten. Its a muscle so it can heal itself. Basically you tighten the muscles around your vagina like you are holding urine. You can do this anywhere, sitting, standing, while your peeing. It works! Hope this helps.

I gae birth to my second child about three years ago and ever since been planning my third child but no luck. It makes me fustrated because my husband and i have the full desire of having another baby. Here is my problem since then its been that i have irregular periods it goes away for months and then i have to take meds in order to get my perriod but they seem not to help me either way so i dont know what to do. I've also noticed that with time i started to get a very fishy smell that never goes away i get meds for it but it never goes away. What should i do

I had similar problems after my second child was born. Pain sitting, standing, seemingly open vagina and trouble doing keegles. I had to go to my family doctor, physio (yes its out there for post pregnancy vagina troubles) and three gynos before somebody saw what was wrong. Finally a doctor took the time to examine me properly. I had, had a quick labour and all of my perineum muscles were detached. I had also developed bad prolapses from my rectum into my vagina because of constipation and no muscle wall to protect things. It is very discouraging to be told that nothing is wrong. My advice is to keep asking for another opinion until you get the help you need. You know your body better than anyone. I had very succesful (painful tho) surgery to reattach everything as it should be and I have been pain free and very comfortable since I healed. Keep asking for help.

i gave birth almost 4 yrs ago with episiotomy. i also had the so called vaginal repair after giving birth and to my surprise,everytime i had my menstruation i can feel sore and a little pain but a lot of discomfort in my anal area and a little lump in it.it will last untill 3 to 4 days after my menstruation.the pain the sore and the lump will heal totally and warns me again for my nxt months menstruation day after i have it. i also had consulted my Ob but to no avail because she says everything was ok and i just have to observe it. almost 4 yrs of observation is too much.

Is it normal to hanve like a bump in between your anal and vagina i noticed it today very frustrating you cant see it but you def can feel it >;)

hi. i read through posts pertaining to post-partum dysfunction. having had two babies in the past 5 years, i have absolutely had no (physical) abnormality thankfully. i'm a target to post-partum depression though - and quite a severe one it is. my second child is 2+ and i'm still not over it. i see a psychiatrist and a psychologist but when the mood flips, i stop taking their advice and medicine both. it's sheer frustration because the symptoms are so bookishly of depression. other than that, i have had vaginal deliveries (including one vaccuum)and amazing stitches to make up for the depressive symptoms. i think good medical care (throughout pregnancy) really counts. oh by the way i have had both my babies in pakistan.

i feel for you, i gave birth to my son 11 months ago, i had episiotomy which lead to 4th degree tear, from the result of pushing i got about 5 external inflammed hemmroids, then 2 months aftet i got a fissure and then i got infections and internal hemmroids. i couldnt sit for 2 months. anyway my "down there" has been traumatized so i wonder if i ever feel normal again. my pelvic floor is so weak and i have a lump between my vagina and rectal opening, which is scar tissue and im assuming thats causing me discomfort and pain everytime i use my rectum. im terrified to push another baby out. the stuff we go through, they never tell us about the after birth recovery :(

OMG. I so feel your pain! Literally. It's six months since the birth of my lo and things have been nightmarish. I like feel like I've been butchered. I had a C-Sect first time round and no other problems other than those first few weeks. I had a 9,11 baby and things down below are to put it mildly, revolting. My vagina looks open, and there are signs of prolapse. I was incontinent at night the first few days and have been doing my pelvic floor exercises relentlessly. When I have a wee there is no power to it. Sex is sensationless unless taken from behind (slightly limiting). I find myself wishing I had a c-section. I have post natal depression which I feel has been magnified how I feel about my irrepairable sex life. Repair to the opening could leave me with even less sensation as could a vaginal tightening procedure. I can't believe this is my sex life for the rest of my life. I cry every day. I feel conned and misinformed. Just a note. No-one has inspected me since leaving hospital despite episiotomy, and forceps delivery. Disgraceful

@shoobyloo - that is digraceful!! despite my problems, i got checked 4 weeks after my sons birth and that was it..he took few seconds to check me and said ok all is good, take care, bye...he didnt even give me a chance to explain anything..so i been suffering in silence ever since..

i want to sew him..lol..but ill be wasting my time on someone who dint put time and care into me...

i wish they would warn us on all these problems before birth but they say they dont want to scare us...i feel so much could have been avoided...anyway our voices should be heard, its unfair we are going through this.

When you say you had a quick labour, just how quick was it?
I was only in labour for 3 hours and my baby is nearly 2 months old now and I'm suffering from awful smelling discharge from my vagina and I was told I was healing really well from my stitches the last time I saw my midwife. I know my stitches have cleared up but I still suffer slight pain as if there still there but its the smelly discharge that is getting me down. I feel paranoid about going out anywhere.

Oh ladies. I feel for all of you. It has been 18 years since I had my last baby and I have never been the same since. I had  reconstructive surgery 8 years after her birth, that would be 10 years ago. Just after I delivered her I went to at least 5 different doctors and all of them said nothing was wrong. Thanks to the internet I was able to diagnose myself and find two great surgeons who confirmed the damage and repaired what they could. Cytocele, Recotocele, prolapses, torn vaginal and anal muscles, torn cervix, incontinence (both kinds), I was a mess. My repair surgery was not wholey sucessful due to the amount of damage and length of time until repair. Now I am faced with a severly prolapsing uterus, and weak pelvic floor muscles, and a lot of scars both physical and mental. My first baby was delivered via C-section and that was marvelous compared to the vaginal delivery. My advice: first, deliver c-section if you can. If you are not allowed or able to and you are damaged, don't let yourself be written off by the "collateral damage of birth doctors and midwives" that are out there. Get help as soon as you can. Oh and one more thing, you will not be the same 'down there' after a vaginal birth, it just isn't possible no matter what anyone tells you. 

my lo is only 4 weeks old, i went to the doctors with awful smelling discharge and was given antibiotics for an infection. I also feel something is not right with my vaginal area but cant quite describe it, and the pain can be quite sharp and sudden at times.