Hi, I am newly single, and just slept with a different man after having been with the same one for 4 years. I have a history of some vaginal discomfort after sex; I usually get an itchy red rash. Doctors haven't been able to tell me exactly what it is, they keep thinking it's a yeast infection, but I don't have any discharge. Prescriptions for yeast do clear it up though. But I am writing because I recently had sex with a new partner. Before we did it I asked him if he had any STDs, and he said he didn't. Because he didn't and I don't, and I am on the pill, we did not use a condom. He pulled out in the end, but he did ejaculate on me. It was about 3 days later that I noticed an odor. I don;t have an abnormal amount of discharge, but the normal vaginal secretions smell sour. I also started spotting on the pill around the same time, but I don't think they are related. I am thinking that just having a new person upset my PH and I am experiencing Bacterial Vaginosis. I don't know much about it, but it sounds fairly common--has anyone had it, or had this experience?

So here's the kicker; I am scheduled to go in for my pap this Wednesday, which is good because I can ask about this. But, since I am spotting on the Pill, there is some blood. I don't know what the proper procedure is here. Shall I call and ask if I should cancel because I am bleeding? Should I go and explain before I change out of my clothes? Under other circumstances I would cancel and wait until I am not bleeding, but I want to know about this odor.

Thanks for advice.

I don't think you should cancel your papa. Go and talk about your symptoms to your gynecologist. In the meantime, to minimize vaginal odor, wash your external genital area. During regular baths or showers, use a very small amount of mild, unscented soap and lots of water. Avoid douching. All healthy vaginas contain some bacteria and other organisms. The normal acidity of the vagina keeps bacteria and yeast in check. But douching can actually upset this delicate balance. Vaginal odor usually results from an overgrowth of organisms normally present in the vagina. Vaginal odor may be more noticeable after sexual intercourse. Other signs or symptoms that can accompany vaginal odor include vaginal itching or irritation and vaginal discharge. Bacterial vaginosis, or bacterial overgrowth, is the most common cause of vaginal odor. Although Bacterial vaginosis will sometimes clear up without treatment, all women with symptoms of Bacterial vaginosis should be treated to avoid complications. Male partners generally do not need to be treated. However, Bacterial vaginosis may spread between female sex partners. Some sexually transmitted diseases may cause vaginal odor. I hope this will help.

This happens when something disrupts your ph. Make sure you both are clean down there before intercourse for a while until your vagina gets use to the fluid (precum) from your new partner. It has happened to me when my partner tries to be fresh with me after he has worked a long day, after the gym (when he's feeling sexy from his workout) which aka means he has sweaty penis/balls. If it is still doing this after u both cleansing before hand, then I would see a dr. It might be an underlying condition. It worked for me and now we have unprotected sex all the time with absolutely no problems... Also, watch what soap he uses, using things like Irish spring smell great on a man, they leave a fishy smell on women's private parts so they are not intended to touch us there. Hope this was helpful