I have a friend who told me he experienced terrible problem lately. He has vasculitis and I have seen it. I could tell you it looks terrible, and I am sorry he has to live suffering like that. That is why I think all I could do is to be there for him. For this time, I would like if you could tell me more about vasculitis, about possible treatment or cause of vasculitis?

Vasculitis is disease that is confined to mucocutaneous regions, such as mouth, genitals, and skin. In these cases, topical steroids and non–immunosuppressive medications such as colchicine may be effective. Moderate doses of systemic corticosteroids are also frequently required for vasculitis exacerbations. Beside this, some patients require chronic, low doses of prednisone to keep the disease under control. Problem is that sometimes it is possible serious end–organ involvement occur, such as eye or central nervous system disease. Both of these require high doses of prednisone and some other form of immunosuppressive treatment. Immunosuppressive agents used in the treatment of Behcet’s disease, which is type of vasculitis, include azathioprine, cyclosporine, cyclophosphamide, and chlorambucil. When organ or life-threatening disease is connected with vasculitis, the combination of prednisone and either cyclophosphamide or chlorambucil is the preferred therapy. I think it is nice from you to stay beside your friend, but anyway he needs to check vasculitis with doctor and get appropriate treatment.