I know about lung cancer that this is a disease caused by the rapid growth and division of cells. I have a friend who said he has lung cancer, but his cancer is called bronchogenic cancer. I found out any lung cancer can be described by its particular histologic type, which is the type of tissue that is diseased. Now I would like to hear more about this terrible disease, since I am surrounded with different information about lung cancer. Can you tell me the core of this disease, anything you might find it could be interesting to me as a beginner?

Under normal circumstances, lung cells reproduce in an orderly fashion to maintain tissue health and to repair injuries that might happen. When growth control is lost, and cells divide too much and too fast, tumor is formed. If the tumor is confined to a few cell layers and it does not invade surrounding tissues or organs, it is considered as benign lung tumor. Contrary, when the tumor spreads to surrounding tissues or organs, it is considered malignant, or cancerous. If cancerous cells break away from the original tumor, travel, and grow somewhere else the process is known as metastasis. The most commonly affected tissue where metastasis of lung cancer happens are brain, bone, liver, adrenal glands, the opposite lung, or lymph nodes of the chest or collarbone. Lung cancer is cancer that usually starts in the lining of the bronchi. Beside this, it ca also begin in other areas of the respiratory system, including the trachea, bronchioles, or alveoli. Lung cancers are believed to develop over a period of many years, and not in fast process. Nearly all lung cancers are carcinomas, which is a cancer that begins in the lining or covering tissues of an organ.