Greetings. I have planed to propose my girlfriend at the vacation. I have planed everything and I am taking her in Australia for vacations (we live in Austria). But a few days ago I was not feeling that good so I went to see my cardiologist. And guess what? He told me that according to some tests I was diagnosed with some kind of Kawasaki disease. You know what was my first question - Does this has to do something with bikes because I am a huge fan of adrenaline? But no, unfortunately. He explained it to me. Can you tell me what are the causes and treatment options for Kawasaki disease

Hey SunSeeLove,

Kawasaki disease is a condition that causes inflammation in the walls of medium-sized arteries throughout the body, including the coronary arteries, which supply blood to the heart muscle. Kawasaki disease is also called mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome because it also affects lymph nodes, skin, and the mucous membranes inside the mouth, nose and throat.

Signs of Kawasaki disease, such as a high fever and peeling skin, can be frightening. The good news is that Kawasaki disease is usually treatable, and most children recover from Kawasaki disease without serious problems. I said children because this disease affects only children, so your doctor must be wrong.

Kawasaki disease is a rare but serious illness that causes heart problems in children. It is a form of a condition called vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels). The blood vessels include arteries, veins, and capillaries.

Sometimes, the disease affects the coronary arteries that supply oxygenated blood to the heart. If the disease affects the coronary arteries, it can lead to severe heart problems including myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle), dysrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm), and aneurysm (weakening and bulging of the artery wall).

I also agree with what Bee wrote above, this disease affects only children so you couldn't possibly have it.

The treatment for Kawasaki disease should be established as soon as possible after the appearance of signs and symptoms, preferably while the child still has a fever. The goals of initial treatment are to lower fever and inflammation and prevent heart damage.

To accomplish those goals, your child's doctor may recommend:

Gamma globulin. Infusion of an immune protein (gamma globulin) through a vein (intravenously) can lower the risk of coronary artery problems.
Aspirin. High doses of aspirin may help treat inflammation. Aspirin can also decrease pain and joint inflammation, as well as reduce the fever. Kawasaki treatment is a rare exception to the rule against aspirin use in children.
Because of the risk of serious complications, initial treatment for Kawasaki disease usually is given in a hospital.

Hi SunSeeLove,

Once the fever goes down, your child may need to take low-dose aspirin for at least six weeks and longer if he or she develops a coronary artery aneurysm. Aspirin helps prevent clotting.

However, if your child develops flu or chickenpox during treatment, he or she may need to stop taking aspirin. Taking aspirin has been linked to Reye's syndrome, a rare but serious illness that can affect the blood, liver, and brain of children and teenagers after a viral infection.

Without treatment, Kawasaki disease lasts an average of 12 days, though heart complications may be evident later and be longer lasting. With treatment, your child may start to improve soon after the first gamma globulin treatment.

Hello. Well, there are a couple of types how to treat it.  Sometimes you will need aspirin to help control symptoms such are fever, rash and swollen joints. At first, they will likely need high doses. Then, after their temperature is normal, the doctor will lower the dose. Your child will go home and stay on the lower dose for several weeks. Once treatment begins anyone with Kawasaki disease usually start to feel much better within about a day. Also some medications that can prevent blood clots can be prescribed as well. I hope that this is helpful. Enjoy darling! 

Hey Sea Sun Love, I am sure that you can have nice and quality life even if you have this Kawasaki disease. And it is not definitely a disease about the bikes, but nice try.

But I really want to know when this disease happened to you because it is well known  that this disease happens to the children.

Also, Kawasaki disease can be very dangerous because can harm the coronary arteries, which carry blood to the heart muscle. I know that in case when we are talking about the  children who are treated recover from the disease without long-term problems. Your doctor will watch your child for heart problems for a few weeks to a few months after treatment.

Hello there guys. I have this kawasaki disease as well and I got really surprised by the name of this disease because I was pretty sure that this is something totally different. But my doctor really explained nice to me what this is, what are the causes and all possible treatments. The good thing is that this disease is treatable but I also need to agree with someone in here - how is it possible that you didn't know before about this issue? Because I am sure that you have it from before. It is treatable but once again you need to check the diagnose of it. Maybe they gave you wrong diagnose?

Good days. I have heard about this disease recently as well. It has different name than any other disease so it interested me as well.  I know that kawasaki disease is a condition that causes inflammation in the walls of medium - sized arteries throughout the body. This also includes the coronary arteries, which supply blood to the heart muscle. Kawasaki disease is also known as mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome because it also affects lymph nodes, skin, and the mucous membranes inside the mouth, nose and throat. Signs of Kawasaki disease, such as a high fever and peeling skin, can be frightening