My husband had several attacks of chest pain in last two weeks. He was diagnosed angina pectoris. He got prescriptions for novasc, to take it once a day. I would like to hear something about this medication. Does it control blood pressure too? My husband is 60 years old.

Novasc is amlodipine generically; it belongs to a group of calcium channel blockers. It is used in treatment of angina pectoris and high blood pressure. Novasc relaxes blood vessels and lowers blood pressure that way. Novasc can increase blood supply to the heart and prevent the heart pain, but it can not stop the pain that has already started. I was diagnosed angina 5 years ago, and have been on novasc since then. I’m on one tablet daily and have never had pain attacks again. It is excellent medication for control of blood pressure, especially in elderly people.