I know clinical surveys indicate that up to 30% of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy cases have a familial distribution. The only known disease gene is the dystrophin gene, that is what I found out. Doctor explained this is gene, which causes X-linked dilated cardiomyopathy. I know that research to determine further disease loci is currently being conducted. That is why I would like to hear more about dilated cardiomyopathy.

Treatment of dilated cardiomyopathy is essentially the same as treatment of pulmonary edema. However, obtaining a thorough history from patients with dilated cardiomyopathy helps determine etiology of this problem. When beginning treatment, administer oxygen, initiate continuous pulse oximetry and cardiac monitoring. Doctor needs to obtain intravenous access for this kind of treatment for dilated cardiomyopathy. Mainstays of medical therapy of dilated cardiomyopathy are preload reduction, afterload reduction, diuresis, and airway support. In patients with severe refractory pulmonary edema, a trial of continuous positive airway pressure may obviate the need for intubation. Everyone should consult an internist or cardiologist for admission when has been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy for the first time. Cardiomyopathy is a broad term that includes subacute or chronic disorders of the myocardium, medium layer of the heart. It is also used to refer to a group of systemic diseases and processes that are toxic. Dilated cardiomyopathy will refer to the subset of congestive heart disease with systolic dysfunction not due to hypertension or ischemic heart disease.