hi All

A number years ago i had regular bouts of tonsilitis and was strongly recommended to have them removed (tonsillectomy) which i subsequently did.

However since the operation & for the last few years i've constantly had a throat irration & regular cough as a result as well as an enlarged lymph node in one side of my throat. This incessant coughing (which is very embaressing) i was told by a specialist is due to extensive scarring damage left on one side of my throat, which has left me with a constant feeling of distaste & a vomiting sensation in my throat. Can anyone suggest any treatments/operations/medicines which might be able to correct/reverse or alleviate this very embaressing complication?

Most sincere thanks,
john

Back to top

heretisj,

I am 40 yrs old and had a tonsillectomy four months ago. Day 7 of the post op I developed a swollen lymph node (jugulodigastric node) in the right side of my neck, it's still there along with red irriated throat, and ear pain, and ringing in the ears. When I swollow it feels like a stabbing/pinching feeling on the right side. I have been on 6 differant antibiotics and steriods 6 times and had three steriod shots all since my surgery. I wish I could help you, but do not have any answere for you.
I truley know how you feel though. It is he!!
Do you have acid reflux? That would cause the vomiting senation in the back of your throat.
I have acid reflux and had it before the surgery, there is no differance with it before or after the tonsils were removed.
Maybe together we can figure this out. What method did they use? They
used Coblation on me. I had just recovered from tonsillites prior to the surgery. Does your doctor denie that it is related to the surgery? Mine does and that is pure bull@%^&*.
Your tonsils and lymph nodes are both apart of your lymphmatic system and immune system. What causes a node to swell is cancer or a cut, bite, cat scratch or trama close to the affect node. I would say having your tonsils ripped out pretty much quailifies a trama, wouldn't you say?

Hi

Thanks for your answer - No i dont have (or never did have) any acid reflux (in fact i was 100% healthy before the operation!) -- i saw about 4 or 5 specialists over the course of a year(after the operation) who subjected me to all sorts of tests, prescribed pills for reflux etc -- in fact most said they could not find anything wrong physically & it was all in my head i.e psychological - so together with family telling me the same thing i started to believe this -- in spite of what i knew to be true -- that all health problems i had 'acquired' as a result of this surgery -- i had this confirmed in late 2005 when i found my own laryngologist specialist who told me it was scarring damage from the operation & when i told him 5 other specialists couldnt find out what was wrong he was downright amazed as it only took him 5 mins to ascertain!! (funny enough 1 of those 5 specialists was a private doctor who was ACTUALLLY supposed to oversee the operation to ensure it went 'well'...)

Truly the feeling is like a lump in my throat (the enlarged lymph) although ive gotten used to it it doesnt really bother me anywhere near as much as the constant coughing etc caused by the scars ... I dont know the type of surgery used though -- i guess whatever is standard procedure it was done in a public hospital i,e: not paid for privately ...

Apologies that isnt of much help all i knew was it was a simple operation supposed to make me better... all its done is make me worse :-((

Thanks for your help & i hope we can get some sort of professional input/suggestions from qualified laryngologists on these complications...

thanks,
john

Hi there. I did this three months ago. I just can't describe this ugly feeling that I had for 15 days...Even more. My tonsillectomy went OK, but those tonsillectomy side effects that I had after were killing me. I also had this issue with this lump in my throat that was freaking me out. The feels like I had some pocket inside and something was there, bothering me. This pocket was always full, never empty. This is how I felt when I had this. So, I went to see my doctor immediately and he told me about this. To cut long story short, side - effects are something that you always will deal with, it doesn't matter is it because of this surgery or some other surgery as well. 

I can see where the scar tissue would make you cough, but what about the chronic sore throat and swollen lymph node?

Did you ask the laryngologist what you can do about it? What are your options?

Hi

Well i was told the enlarged lymph is nothing to worry about as long as it doesnt get bigger or become painful. To be honest i am more focussed on finding a way to heal this internal scar tissue at the moment as it is this which is most irritating & embaressing.

Any help you can provide would be most sincerely valued.

Kind thanks,
john

You should consider seeing a speech language pathologist. If you go on ASHA.org, look at the listing of graduate programs in your area. Most universities with a speech language pathology/communicative disorders, ect....(it's called many diff names) have a free or small fee clinic that will see you. They can give you different techniques to accommodate for the cough and vocal exercises to get rid of the scaring. Hope that helps!

I assume you consulted an ENT Surgeon? Is it possible to remove that lymph node or remove the scar tissue that is inflaming the lymph node?

I am 40 and had a tonsillectomy in June 2008, I have had the same problems as all of you. I went for a second opinion because the acid reflux diagnoses was not working for me. They told me that I had an unusually large amount of scare tissue in the back of my throat on my tongue. I just had another surgery were they took out the scare tissue and put in a skin graph so that the scaring would not come back. I can finally talk correctly, eat, swallow with out feeling like I am going to choke. The second opinion was a cranial facial plastic surgeon.
Hope this gives you all some hope

I've had problems w/ scarring from tonsillectomy for years. Could u be more specific about how ur scar tissue was removed surgically? ENT specialists have told me there was nothing to be done and have generally felt that md's do not want to get involved with problem. Any info would be much appreciated.

UGH!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Finally. Please, please, please tell me what state or what doctor you have that helped you! I had my tonsils out May 07. And I'm finally sick of all the post op stuff..coughing, persistant post nasal drip, trouble swallowing. I went back to the doc who did the surgery and he just keeps putting me off. He says nothing at all is wrong. I too started to think this is all in my head!!! Then I just got back from yet another ENT appt just now and for the first time they told me I have lots of scarring (more than expected). However, they didn't comment on the dry spot, cough or trouble swallowing...everything "looked fine" so they said they'd get back to me because it doesn't make sense.
So I decided to try and google this and WHOLLA!! I'm sorry you are all in the same position as I am, but looks like some of you are actually getting somewhere. I cannot stand one more person to tell me it all looks fine. Tell me when the last time swallowing meant meat in your nose! UGH.

I had a tonsillectomy in October 2007. I realized after about 2 weeks, when the pain finaly started to subside that it felt like my tongue was somehow being tethered to the back and along the sides of my mouth. It got progressively worse over about 5 weeks, to the point where my words were beginning to slur, I was choking even on water, and the pain in the middle of my tongue was increasing. I went back to the surgeon who did the operation, who told me that the scar tissue had gone into overtime so to speak, and didnt stop forming, and was indeed adhering the sides of my tongue to the sides of my mouth, in effect starting to pull on my tongue from the center. While his (older) partner recommended leaving it alone and seeing what it looked like in 6 months, as a psychologist, I make my living being able to talk correctly, so the first surgeon did another surgery and removed all the scar tissue and cauturized the area so that the scar tissue would not grow back. After about two weeks of healing, I finally felt like I had my life back. If your ENT surgeon won't remove the excess scar tissue, find a 2nd option and one who will....

I hope this thread is still active, because I stumbled upon it while searching for information on tonsillectomy scar tissue.

I had a tonsillectomy/uvulectomy in 07, and then late last year I discovered a mass in my lymph node on the right side of my neck. Also, since the surgery, I have had difficulty swallowing/eating foods that are juicy, because the juice runs right down my throat due to the missing uvula, there's nothing there to help guide it down or slow it down before I can swallow. It's been miserable trying to just chew gum, I choke perhaps once or twice a day.

After discovering the mass, I went through biopsies and they told me I had extensive scar tissue - I immediately figured it was from the tonsillectomy, but they decided it was non hodgkins lymphoma - but I have my doubts. They did a fine needle biopsy on the mass, and I think a tissue biopsy from inside, but my blood tests were fine and so was my bone marrow test. I feel fine but refused chemo for the lymphoma and begin a dietary regimen to combat what they said was cancer.

I'm still confused over my bloodwork being fine if I'm supposed to have cancer. I think the mass may be because of the tonsillectomy.

Has anyone seen this before, scar tissue forming, causing a mass in the lymph node and being dx as cancer wrongly?

Could those of u who've had ops to remove scar tissue please provide names and location of surgeon. This info would be greatly appreciated

I had a tonsillectomy a little over a month ago. The scarring is different on each side. On the right side I seem to have a flap or a fold that makes me feel like I have something caught in my throat. I am also concerned that the flap/fold could harbor bacteria. My M.D. has given me the run around - said there is nothing wrong but it could be removed in the future? I fear he made an error. Has anyone exprerienced this? I appreciate any help or suggestions!