About two months ago I started having throat pain and and ended up losing my voice for three days. No fever. No redness. After regaining my voice, though weak, I was struck with horrible reflux without heartburn. It lasted for over a month before it became so bad that I couldn't eat or drink anything. All the while, my throat has a swollen lump causing me to choke when i swallow. The doctor put me on Aciphex which helped with the acid burning but not the reflux. So he put me on Dexilant. That seems to be working. That is to say, I don't feel the reflux near as much. about a month ago I asked my sister to look in my throat and see if anything was red or irritated. She freaked and took a picture of what appears to be my epiglottis sticking up in my throat. Barium swallow was normal, no hiatal hernia. I told the doctor about my epiglottis, he didn't believe me. However, upon inspection his response was "oh my gosh! Let me get a better look at that. That is so weird. Wow! That's just weird. I've never seen that before and I've literally looked in thousands of throats!" So now I have to have a scoped one to figure out what's going on. I can't find anything online about a similar situation. Anyone heard of this before.? My epiglottis was never visible before. No fever at any time. Continue to lose voice intermittently. Sore throat. My neck is starting to itch. Most likely from swelling. Gag when I speak. Constant need to clear throat. Tightness in breathing.

Hey, I have a similar problem, though not as severe I dont think. Two days ago, I contracted a sore throat, which mainly invovled pain around my tonsil area. Eventually, the ache in that area subsided only to be replaced by a wierd pain at the back of my tongue. IT almost feels as if there is a lump back there, but the pain only occured when my tongue touched the roof of my mouth. It felt like I was tugging at the base of my tongue where is attached. When I swallow, it feels as if something in the center is in the way. It isn't painful but still bothersome.

When I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror, I coughed and saw my epiglottis for the first time. At first I was pretty shocked. I thought that there was something seriously wrong, but I just learned that it is normal for the epiglottis to be visible in some people. Now that I've seen that, I am thinking that my epiglottis might be what Im feeling in my throst, though, I dont know why :( 

I dont think that my situation is as critical as yours, but I hope that you have or will find out what I wrong with your situation dude. I wil pray for the both of us.

My daughter's has been visible for a few weeks now, have you found out what has caused this? My daughter has mixed connective tissue disease and has many other issues related with this disease as well, can you tell me what the doc found out? Thank you!

I'm only 14 and I could see my epliglottis . I went to the doctor because i freaked out and got scared. I know it sounds childish but yeah . It just gets hard to breath and I get a really scratch throat .

I have the same thing. I started gradually getting a sore throat and after day two it hurts so much to swallow. I did actually take my flash light and look in my throat.I saw red veins and red dots in my throat. Last night I was kind of burping acid In my sleep it horrible .

is there home remedies to treat epiglottis because I saw it sticking up in my throats and I am 15 years old btw and I'm scared because I just now saw this in my throat and I don't know what to do

I have literally all the same symptoms as you. I know this is an old post. but if you see this, can you reply with anything that you ended up finding out? thanks !!

Hi I have the same problem three years ago I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for breath I felt like I had something stuck in my throat so I went to the bathroom at my phone unlocked and sign it really frightened me for what I seen it look like a tube I had no idea what it was at the time so I googled it and found out that it was my epiglottis I've been to specialists they told me to keep chewing gum and to keep swallowing I even took pictures of my epiglottis it was up that high in my throat it bothers me all the time just feels like there's a big ball in their hard to swallow I found out that when your epiglottis wells but it's called epiglottitis and four to go to emergency right away but it seems that they don't do anything for you I am going through a flareup right now as we speak and have been for the last past four days but what is the sense of going to the emergency and all they do is send you home I really do not know what to do anymore I wish someone would please help me thank you for listening