it all started about a week ago. i woke up in the morning so dizzy i couldnt sit up. then i fell back asleep and woke up a little later with a head ache. now everytime i eat, i throw up, and ive had an on and off head ache. im not exactly sure whats going on. what could be wrong with me? i am a female in my early 20's im too you to be dizzy and throwing up all the time!

To The Young Woman:

Your symptoms are actually quite typical of early pregnancy. These symptoms will be experienced by up to 80% of expectant mothers during the first trimester. For a few women the morning sickness may continue into the second or even third trimester.

The cause of morning sickness is thought to be related to elevated hormone levels as your body prepares to accomodate the developing fetus. You may consider a natural remedy consisting of tea made from organic ginger root, but ask your doctor first. For more severe symptoms that may lead to dehydration and/or weight loss you should immediately see your doctor, and consider a prescription such as Zofran to reduce the severity of your symptoms.

Additional symptoms such as fever, fainting, etc., may indicate a more serious condition; you should consult with a physician to determine the exact cause of your symptoms. For the moment, please remember to eat a nutritious and balanced meal, with leafy greens, two boiled or poached eggs per day for adequate choline intake, a daily source of folic acid to prevent neural tube defects during the sensative period from day 20 to 28 of gestation. Please avoid alcohol, smoking, soft drinks and caffiene products.

I am not a physician, however, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Cordially yours,

Steingrimur N Hermannsson

Conditions such as migraine headache, sinus infection, dehydration, stress, hunger, depression, allergies, idiopathic intracranial pressure (from any cause that is undiagnosed), low blood sugar, mononucleosis, and many other conditions may also be associated with headache, dizziness and vomiting.

Morning sickness during pregnancy is a less common cause. I do sincerely apologize for limiting my response in the previous posting. Please seek medical help immediately if your symptoms become worse as this may be an indication of a serious medical condition.

Steingrimur N. Hermannsson