My daughter occasionally wakes up with one (always the left) eye swollen. It does not hurt her, but she can barely open her eye. It starts going down during the day and usually within a day or two, it is back to normal. The eye doctor and her pediatrician have no idea what it could be. The pediatrician put her on 2 types of allergy medications, but she still will occasionally wake up with one puffy eye. Quite honestly, I don't know if the allergy meds are working. Also, if it were an allergy problem, wouldn't it affect both eyes?

Any idea what could be the cause of this and how to stop it from happening?

Thanks,

Phyllis

Hello Phyllis

I have problems with allergies my whole life and believe me that I have tried so many things and so many medications and I have freaked out so many times when one medication that used to work suddenly stops. My doctor was trying everything he could but somehow my body always gets adjusted to the current medication and after sometime we have to switch to something new.

Swollen, one swollen eye is one of the first symptoms of the allergy. If sneeze nose accompanies than your doctor has right and some type of allergy is in question. But I don’t know why he didn’t do allergy test to find out which allergy is in question. Try talk to your doctor about this.  

Hey guys. This is rather intriguing because it doesn't affect both eyes but only one. I have a question for you. Have you tried changing bed sheets or pillow during the night because it might be an allergic reaction to something in the pillow? Puffy eyelid can be caused by many things, allergies being the most common ones. I have had a similar issue with conjuctivitis and it wasn't pleasant at all. I would suggest you to take your mother to see a doctor or dermatologist because they know the best way to treat that issue. Let us know what happens next.

Most likely she is sleeping on the left side and excess edema is settling on that side.