Looking for answers regarding edema/swollen eyes/blepharoplasty? I am a 37 year old female, about 5 years ago, I began waking up with one upper eyelid swollen. This would always return to normal within a couple of hours. As the year went on this began to happen to both eyes and the swelling increased. As time went on more symptoms developed. Joint pain, short term fevers, excessive food craving (not only sugar), huge amounts of water retention w/ weight flexuating up to 5-8 lbs each day. No matter how much I exercised, watched what I ate, decreased salt, increased water-decreased water, nothing helped... Finally after being tested for just about everything under the sun I was told I have Idiopathic Edema. Basically, there is nothing to do other than watch salt intake and take prescribed amphetamines like Adderall...I hate this, but it's working. The only thing is that the eyelid swelling has not stopped... I have tried pycnogenol, serrapeptase, vitamin b, water cure diet, all supplements, etc... Each morning they are puffy and ugly (this is also stretching the skin out leaving it wrinkled by appearance at the end of the day when the swelling reduces.

My last thought is to have eyelids surgery, blepharoplasty. Has anyone had eye swelling each and every day that returned to normal at the end of every everyday only to return the next mornig? If so, did you try Blepharoplasty help and did it work?

all that means is
Idiopathic = we have no idea (my doctor actually told me that)
and
Edema = swelling
so they told you they have no idea why your eyes are swelling
I too have the same problem and I dont think surgery is your answer. what ever is causing this issue will continue to exist even after surgery. Keep going to different doctors someone has to have a better answer. I have not gone yet to a doctor but i have made an appointment if I find anything I will let you know.
best wishes

Hey everyone. Well, my distant cousin has had a similar issue with his eyelids and for him, it turned out to be something in his sheets, well, it was his pillow, believe it or not. That was the reason for his puffy eyelid and we were so worried. Basically, your eyelids getting puffy often can mean that there's something near you that you use regularly that makes your eyes swollen. I would strongly advise you to go and see your doctor concerning this problem, or to change your sheets or something. If nothing doesn't work, go and see dermatologist or ophthalmologist. 

Have you thought of dust mite allergies from your pillow and trying to take an antihistamine like benadryl at bed?

I have had 2 eye surgerys and neither did anything for the swelling under my eyes...

I take allergy medication every day of my life, just switched to zyrtec-d because I am congested all of the time...

I also use flonase nasal spray which helps to reduce the swelling but maintianing the prescription is a pain and when I don't do it they ultamately swell again...

I try to stay away from salt products because that seems to intensify the swelling...

Hopefully this will spare someone from the surgery which for me, was a total waste of money and time.

have you been tested for fibromyalgia? I also have ALL those symptoms and that was my diagnosis... though I'm still working on the puffy eye situation - I'll keep you posted if you keep me too!

I have this summer allergy that makes me hate summer. I sneeze all day, my nose is stuffy, my eyes are red and watery(all day). I've tried the drugs and the over the counter medicines. They work okay, but not to my satisfaction. Someone advise me to take lots of vitamin C. I took 4 tablets = 4000 mg and in half an hour my system reduce by half, then by another half an hour it was gone. The allergy comes back about 12 hours after I have taken the vitamin C. In which case, I just take more. Its a win-win for me. It gets rid of my allergy and I am encourage to take my vitamin C.

Interested: Go read up on Vitamin C. It does a lot of other good things too.

I read your topic regarding swollen upper eyelids. In the last two weeks I have been experiencing this same issue. I was wondering how you are doing? My issue is the puffiness in one eye every morning now. My eyelids itch and are somewhat watery. I take a Clariton every morning to get the puffiness to go down so I don't look so run down at work. As you have mentioned by mid day my eye is back to normal but I have noticed the stretching and wrinkling of the eyelid now. I tryed moisturizing the area nightly because the one lid does seem kind of dry on it. I also have noticed small white bumps on the lid, like little worts. My eating habits have not changed. I don't really crave things any differently than normal, like when I am stressed I need chocolate. I am not a heavy drinker, maybe a few beers or glasses of wine on a week-end. I exercise on a regularly basis. I do have my daughters cat which I wonder sometimes if she is causing my problems. But why only one eye and not both. I don't weeze or seem to have trouble breathing. I have a runny nose but since I have been taking Clariton in the mornings is seems to lessen the runniness. Sometimes I feel like there is something in my eye. So I have flushed it out with eye wash but doesn't seem to help and the vision in this eye is somewhat blurry. I had lasic eye surgery done almost 10 years ago so I am not sure if that is the problem. I see my regular eye doctor yearly and except for the fact I have a lot of floaters in my eyes, he says my vision is fine. I have read the response by misykitty about taking vitamin C. I think I will try this.
Please let me know how you are doing. I have considered eyelid surgery also. But I need to know what is causing this. I have a visit with my Doctor this week to see what she thinks. I would appreciate any feed-back.

I could have written that post myself! I too am 37 and my puffiness started in my right eye...I first attributed it to a bad case of swimmers ear on that side. It since has moved to both lids. I hate my puffy eyelids and feel like I Have tried everything...prep H, Tea bags, Clariton, creams...etc. I have recently had my throid tested but am waiting for results. Anyone have any history with this? Also, I have been reading up on MSG...my husband feels that this may be contributing. I found a 'diet' on *** that I may try...it tests your toxicity level for MSG sensitivity. They say to try it for a week and see if your symptoms diminish. Anyone tried this?? If I do, I will let you know if I see anything. I'm glad to read that the problem persists following surgery...I was thinking this was my only option, but will save my money now!

**edited by moderator** **web addresses are not allowed**

Idiopathic: id**t of the doctor, pathetic of the patient

has anyone been tested for Nephrosis syndrome? doctors can test you by level of protein in your urine.

Thank you for posting the issue regarding your puffy eyelids. I too have the same problem. I am a 37 year old wife and mother of three and for the past two years my eyes have been terrible in the morning. I was told that it was hormonal by a friend and my eye doctor. I have stopped eating hot dogs, bacon and anything full of sodium due to this occurrence. My eyes do not always go back to normal. Sometimes it last all day and can take a couple days to return to normal. My friend that told me it is hormonal suggested applying a hot or warm wash cloth to the swollen area. This does help a little. I was worried that I had high blood pressure, but, no...my blood pressure is completely normal. I notice that when I watch my diet closely and exercise the symptoms are less likely to occur everyday.

I had a heart attack at 45 (female, regular weight ) last March ever since I was stinted I have periodically had 1 eye at a time swell up ..looks like water maybe , just the eye lid ...4 times in the right eye and 3 times in the left eye....always 1 eye at a time . I thought I was allergic to something but I am finding that it is not the case. First I thought it was penicillin then I thought it was laundry detergent at my massage therapist then I thought make up so I stopped wearing all and I still get it ..I have heart disease and am thinking that it may be edema possibly due to blockage . I am going to talk to my cardiologist within 2 weeks....it is not all the time and it lasts about 2-3 days and it is gone...it starts to lessen after the realization of it being swollen . I find it is after I wake up but it has happened I think 1 or 2 times when I was awake . I have never been allergic to anything except lisinopril which they gave me after the surgery after the heart attack last March... I hope this helps if there is anyone out there that may be experiencing any symptoms of heart disease , including confusion or not being able to think or remember properly, any swelling on the foot or ankle and what you think is heart burn or slight breathing problems like a little short on breath ... Before I had my heart attack I remember looking at my feet before be and they were SWOLLEN like the last week of pregnancy and I really did not have to much of that but some right at the end of the pregnancy .....Just a thought for anyone with this as I have been thinking hard on this eye swelling and I am going to get to the answer for sure ! hopeful it is not related to my blockages . Keep it in your mind for yourself . Kim

i had it for over a month about a year ago. once i stopped using a certain mascara, my eyes went back to normal. but i just woke up today and it's back. so maybe its the new mascara... or maybe im back at square one

I also have puffy upper eyelids that typically lasts all day long. Not only does it make my eyes feel heavy and tired, it also makes me feel foggy headed and depressed when the swelling is real bad. Does anyone else have the foggy headed/depressed feeling also with their puffy eyes ? I have tried pretty much every over the counter allergy and decongestiant out there and none of them reduce the swelling. What i have found works the best so far is taking 1000mg of vitamin c which greatly reduces the swelling but not completely gone.