I have suffered what I think is sinusitus for the past few years. I feel pressure around the side of my head and behind the eyes (also on the bridge of the nose) and feel tired ALL the time. I usually have to nap in the weekends for at least an hour and then feel okay afterwards. I fall asleep in no time at all (ie less than a minute).

My eyes are always puffy and I think this is related to the sinus problem. I don't have a running nose (the usual sinus symptom) but if I tip my head for long enough, I can blow a certain amount of mucus out (jelly like clear consistency). Now when I have an actual cold (and I rarely get a cold) there is so much mucus from the cold that I am able to clear the sinuses and actually feel great. So I almost wish I could catch a cold each month just to feel lighter in the head. I've been to the doctor several times and they put me on antibiotics, nasal sprays, nasal rinses. None of this works. Well, the nasal rinse is okay in clearing a bit of mucus out but I feel the bulk of it remains and the pressure around my head is so intense. I was referred to the hospital for a scan but in New Zealand there is such a waiting list in the public health system that they took me off the list as my case was deemed not serious enough. So in the meantime I suffer. If I exercise too hard, I can get a throbbing headache. I don't think I have a post-nasal drip (although possibly a bit sometimes). It affects my work and social life as I feel tired at work all day and the weekend is spent sleeping. I have to plan my social life around my nap times - knowing that I'll be in mild pain if I go out with friends on the weekend before I nap.

Each morning I wake up and the first hour is fine, then I just want to sleep again. If I haven't had more than 8 hours sleep, I'll feel worse in the morning (ie more tired) than when I went to sleep.

Does anyone else suffer these symptoms? I'm now trying to increase my water in-take as that may help somewhat.

Thanks, any comments would be most appreciated.

Just for the past a couple of weeks or more? Are you sure that you are not dealing with chronic sinusitis? Yes, those all are the potential symptoms that you can get when you have problems with sinus inflammation of any kind.  Of course, to treat this feeling and tiredness, you’ll need to treat the condition that’s causing this symptom. So - go to the doctor. I mean, every type of sinus infection, happens when bacteria or viruses get into space behind your nose and your eyes as well. With this sinus infection, you’ll feel pressure in the upper part of your face, including behind your eyes.

So, you are not the only one who has those symptoms. The only difference is how strong they are in your case. 

I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM SEVERE PAINS AROUND THE LEFT EYE ,TEMPLE AND NASAL AREA FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW.IT COMES ON AT VARYING TIMES OF THE DAY OR NIGHT AND WIPES ME OUT FOR HOURS.YOU JUST WANT TO GET HOLDING A HAND AGAINST THE AREA TO RELIEVE THE PAIN.NO PAIN KILLERS ETC SEEM TO HAVE ANY EFFECT AND EVENTUALLY IT STOPS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS.MY DOCTOR REFERRED ME, AND THE SPECIALIST SUGGESTED IT WAS CLUSTER HEADACHES,BUT I WAS NOT GIVEN ANY SCANS,JUST KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS.IT REALLY DOES AFFECT YOUR LIFE.I DARE NOT DRINK ALCOHOL OR EAT ,CHOCOLATE .ANYONE ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS,PLEASE

In response to sinusitis sufferer, I too have recently had similar symptoms. A week before Christmas '06 I felt popping in my ears, sinus pressure and found a lump on the side of my neck. Went in to the doctor and he said that I had a swollen lymph node and probably sinusitus. I took an antibiotic for 1 week and then came down with the flu. Was out of work with that for 1 week and then started feeling pressure behind my left eye, popping & soreness around my left ear, soreness on the left side of my neck and aching in my left jaw. I went back to the doctor and he said I had an ear infection, and prescribed antibiotics again. He said the rest of the symptoms were probably just stress as I didn't have any congestion/nasal drip or fever. I've been on the antibiotics (4000 mg of Augmentin/day) for 12 days and still feel the same symptoms. I did go back to a different doctor for a second opinion 2 days ago and he said he saw no signs of infection in my sinuses or my ear. He told me to stop taking the antibiotic. He said that my symptoms may well be stress (my dad just got out of the hospital from heart surgery) and prescribed Xanax. I can tell no difference after taking the Xanax. I KNOW there's something wrong with my sinuses, but am frustrated that the doctors don't seem to take it seriously.

I've read up on sinusitus and seem to have all the "classic" symptoms except I don't have any nasal congestion and my neck (left side just behind/below my ear) is stiff and feels "congested" too (if you can imagine that).

I'm going to try to go back to the doctor and see if he'll schedule an MRI just to make sure there's not something like a tumor that's causing the pressure. I read that sinusitis can be fungal rather than bacterial and therefore antibiotics can be useless in treating it sometimes.

i have suffered with very similar symptoms for about a year and half now. the pressure appeared suddenly when i woke up the morning after a night out with friends and just put it down to too much alcohol but it has never gone since. the pressure around my forehead came first and then a few months later i began to feel increasingly tired. i have been to see my doctor, who reffered me first to an ear nose and throat specialist who told me to get a mri scan which showed up nothing, i was then referred to a neurologist who also couldnt find anything wrong. so i tried alternative approaches such as accupuncture but again it didnt work. so i gave up and went travelling for 6 months hoping that it may disappear as quickly as it appeared. but it didnt so i came back and went back to my doctor who referred me to a general physician. he thought it wasnt ME or post viral fatgue as i seemed in goodhealth, but more likely an allergy. so i had an allergy test and it came back with dust. i have tried changing all my bedding but the problem still persists. i find it gets worse when i drink alcohol and the next day i feel extremely tired and hungover, but being at university it has been extremely difficult to try and cut out alcohol. i find waking up in the morning almost impossible, and like the first post always need naps in the day. i find even if i sleep for 12 hours i still wake up feeling tired and like a could carry on sleeping. i am at a loss as to what to try next and just wish it would go away. my advice to the guy who wrote the first post would be to try an allergy test and see what that comes up with.
cheers

These all seem similar to my syptoms. I have been struggling with reoccuring sinus infections for the last 7 years. I ususally get them after travelling or after I get a cold. My sinuses become blocked and then it is a slow slide into an infection. Sinus headaches, eye pressure, fatgue, plugged ears, etc. I have gone to too many doctors to count, but my internist finally sent me to an allergist as a last resort. He has put me on a regime of salt/backing sode lavages 2x per day followe dby a regime of afrin and then nasacort. Additionally he put me on Augmentin long term to kill my infection...about 8 weeks. Finally he has be taking Zythromax, an antibiotic, which helps reduce sinus swelling (1 pill/week). I have been doign this for about 1+ years and I have improved compared to previously, however, I have lately fallen ill again and am struggling to get 100% better. My eye pain/pressure and light sensitivity is killing me.
I have been considering surgery out of desparation, but it seems to have a low success rate (<50%).
It is very frustrating. I can say, that good sleep, stress managament, exercise and good diet has helped me though. When I loose any oine of those 3 I inevetibly have problems again.
I am hoping for a magic bullet like everyoen else, but not sure there is one out there. Good luck to all!

I think stress does play a part in sinitus. In controlling sinitus you need to find out what is causing the symptoms. dairy products esp. cheese, chocolate and coffee are supposed to be major causes. I have suffered with sinitus for 10 years and it was worse at times of stress i.e exams. I suffered with sinus pain all down one side of the face and in my eyes and teeth for perhaps 3 to days. I had a CT scan 4 years ago which confirmed my nasal passages were inflammed and blocked on one side of the nose then when i went back for a review it was the other side of the face, the diagnosis was poor drainage of the sinuses i now take nasobec nasal spray and have limited my cheese intake to a couple of times a week. This has controlled the problem i do occasionally get the onset of the symtoms but i take an aspirin straight away and increase my nasal spray dosage. Paracetamol does not work for my sinus pain. I have in the past taken sudafed but they shouldnt really be taken for a long period of time. Anyone had side effects with nasonex which i have taken in the past and has caused palpitations and insomnia?

A CT scan should be requested if sinus pain is causing you problems for days and you have migraine like symptoms.

Thank you all for your comments. It's comforting, if I can say that, to know that others do suffer similar symptoms.

Interestingly I went to Sydney for 2 weeks and have just returned, and I think that overall my sinus problem improved while over there. I worked for 1 week and holidayed for the 2nd. I don't know if it's because there is a drier climate in Australia, compared with New Zealand, or perhaps because I was not under as much stress. I found that I didn't quite have the throbbing pain as much and overall felt a lot better - but not great (maybe I needed a longer period there). I still had naps on occasion, but didn't need such long ones.

I haven't been able to isolate what was the cause of the improvement. I ate less dairy, was less stressed, was far more active than usual and was in a drier climate - so any of these could have contributed to the improvement. But on the other hand, I drank less water, and drank more alcohol than I'd normally consume - each night I had at least a glass of wine.

I also still did have dairy ie coffees, creamy scrambled eggs and some desserts.

Am back in NZ now for the past few days and already I can feel my sinuses are starting to go back to how they were. Not as bad, but over time I think it may go back to how it was. So I'm cutting out dairy where possible and increasing water intake.

It's does sound more allergy, climate and stress related. I do work in a stressful work environment.

Also, I know in the city I live, I've heard stories of people who start to suffer from hay fever where they have not had this problem living outside the city.

For now, I'm monitoring everything so much more and hopefully can pinpoint what the problem is. As one post recommended, an allergy test is a good idea and I have booked in for one of those.

Again, thanks for the helpful comments and sharing your thoughts with me. It's such a drag to have this problem, but I'm determined to find the cause(s) and will share my findings on this board in case they help anyone else.

I have suffered from a "sporadic" swollen eye on my right side for 4 months. I have always had problems with my right nasal passage clogging up, but it was sportadic as well. However, several times each day it would clog. Now the swollen eye seems to always stem from my ngihts rest and get somewhat better by afternoon and evening. I have had a CT scan for Sinusitis (sp?), but turned up nothing. My eye dr is stumped as he continues to say nothing is wrong with the eye itself. Has anyone had symptoms of a swollen eye?

This is the first time I've had a sinus infection, and I can't believe how tired I feel and how puffy my eyes feel. It's not a fun experience, I do have to take naps as well and plan my life around a nap time it's really not fun. How often do you get them?

I am just experiencing my first sinus infection and it's amazing at how tired they make you feel, it's frustrating, and I can't stand blowing my nose but not being able to get much out it really is a pain. How have you been feeling latele?

I am having my first sinus infection now....it feels terrible, my eyes always feel puffy, I want to blow my nose but when I do there isn't much to come out but my nose always feels clogged, I hate how tired I feel I feel like I just always need to sleep and I definitely need a nap if I want to go out. I totally understand where you are coming from. How are you feeling?

I have had swelling under my left eye for 4 months and sometimes under my right eye. It makes it very hard to see. I also feel like my whole face is stiff. When I grit my teeth, my nose bone sticks into my forehead and stays for longer than it should. I have had 1 CT scan that showed swelling and slight infection. I have had 5 rounds of steroids and am on my third round of antibiotics. I will have my repeat CT scan next week. I went off my Nasocort and Astylln nose spray last week because I didnt think they were helping. Now my jaws are so stiff I can barely eat. So I started back on them today cause I guess they were helping a little. Funny thing is, I rarely have any drainage and when I do, its mainly white or clear except this last time it was yellow. But the swelling never changes. Whats up with all the swelling? Another funny thing is, I never feel congested. I can always breath through my nose just fine.

HI, I BEGAN HAVING REALLY BAD PROBLEMS WITH MY HEAD BACK IN SEPTEMBER 2005, THE PAINS WERE THAT BAD THAT I COULD HARDLY LIFT MY HEAD.
MY DAD OFFERED TO PAY FOR ME TO GO PRIVATE AS THE WAITING LIST ON THE NHS WAS SO LONG.
I WENT PRIVATE AND SAW A DOCTOR AND AFTER A FAIRLY LONG EXAMINATION HE REF ME TO HAVE A MRI SCAN( HE THOUGHT I HAD ME!!!)
THE RESULTS WERE UNBELIEVABLE MY CHEEKBONES WERE COMP FULL WITH FLUID, BEHIND MY EYE SOCKETS AND ACROSS MY FOREHEAD- THE DOCTOR SAID THAT HE HAD NOT SEEN SCANS AS BAD AS MINE IN QUITE SOME TIME.
I DO GET VERY VERY TIRED ALL OF A SUDDEN, MY EARS, THROAT HURY ON AND OFF AND GENERALLY FEEL ILL.
I AM NOW BACK ON THE NHS AWAITING SURGERY AS I THINK ITS THE ONLY WAY IM GOING TO GET BETTER-AFTER BEING ON ANTIBIOTICS ON AND OFF FOR NEARLY 18 MTHS.
I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED FITNESS YOGA AND AEROBICS BUT MY HEAD IS AWFUL AFTER I HAVE EXERCISED.
I FEEL FOR ALL OF YOU WHO SUFFER WITH ANYTHING LIKE I DO BECAUSE IT CAN GET YOU DOWN, BUT DO PUSH YOUR DOCTORS FOR REFERRALS ETC AS LIKE I SAID BEFORE THEY THOUGHT I HAD MS!!!
TOTALLY DIFF

Hi there,

I may have some solutions to your sinus problems. I too suffered for years with constant sinus pressure and dizziness, tiredness etc All the nasty things associted wit having sinuis problems. I was told by a friend to try giving up milk. I did it helped a little so I got on the in ternet and investigated the corralation between dairy and sinus problems. Take a look at the many web-sites you will be amazed. I quit dairy and what a difference. I used to eat yogurts cheese drink milk every day. No more. I try a littel every now and then even one little square of cheese makes the sinus pressure come right back. No milk chocolate no ice cream it sucks but I would rather do with out than suffer again. Now I do get chronic sinus pressure from smoke as well and dust especially if you rake leaves or mow the lawn. I have tried using a teaspoon of sea salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper in a nety pot. That is like a little tea pot which incidentally works just as well as a nety pot. Pour into each nostril and it comes out the other and it will make you sneeze and your nose will run but it clears your nose and it's a wonderful relief. Good luck everyone I hope these tips will help you all get some much needed relief.

Kathy