The other day I woke up realizing it is time to do something about my really puffy eyes. I looked in the mirror after buying a brighter light bulb and thought oh no, this is bad. I realized I really have to do something. It almost looks like I have half a plum stuck underneath my eyes and I don't like it.

I don't want outright surgery surgery with a big S, but I do want some kind of noninvasive treatment to reduce it. Is there anything available for people like me? Like perhaps laser treatment for puffy eyes, or freezing or whatever?

If you know, please share. Thank you.

Hello and thank you for sharing this with us today. Puffy eyelids, AKA bags under the eyes, are a pretty common problem. This issue can be caused by both fluid and fat. If fluid is the problem that you are dealing with, then diuretics or a fluid-draining detox diet will be able to help you out.

If, however, you are dealing wit fat deposits underneath your skin, then you are looking at blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery. Doctors (board certified really goes without saying) can eliminate your bags through a fairly simple plastic procedure. Recovery time is about two weeks. Of course it costs but it also does what you want it to.

Well, that's a tricky thing because puffy eyes can be caused by all sorts of things. Here are some things you could try that are definitely not invasive:

- Puffy eyes can be caused by dehydration, believe it or not. Are you chronically under-hydrated? You may want to start drinking more water.
- Could you be suffering from unidentified seasonal or other allergies? That can puff the eyes up too, and in that case allergy meds will bring relief.
- Could you be eating a diet too rich in salt? Fluid retention is bad news for the eyes, Cut down if so. Processed foods contain much more salt than you'd ever know without looking into it.
- Try to eat more potassium to drain excess fluid.
- Of course also try cooling eye cream.

My mum's got that, and she'd love to get rid of 'em as well. I've been Googling around to see if there's anything in the way of laser treatment like fraxel or CO2 laser that can tackle that stuff, them puffy eye bags, and it seems laser treatment can help but the cause (as has already been brought up I see) has to be identified first. Laser treatment can tighten the skin for sure though. It can't get rid of fat deposits I don't think. You need eye lipo for that I guess, LOL. Anyways, no matter what your first point of call should be a dermatologist.

No, puffy eyes are not the same thing as bags under the eyes.

Bags under the eyes are a structural issue of fat, sagging skin, that kind of thing. Puffy eyes are an inflammation of sorts. I have puffy eyes sometimes, definitely more so after a late night, LOL, and I love using cooling eye creams to improve the way they look and feel. Clarins eye contour gel is really good for instance. It has chamomile to soothe your eyelids and caffeine to tighten them! It has antioxidants meant to remove the inflammation. Check it out.

So, I came across a blog post about puffy eye remedies just today and thought of this topic. Of course it had the same tired old advice about getting enough sleep and staying hydrated, as if people don't know that stuff already, but it also mentioned that some people benefit from trying antihistamine eye drops. That's cool. If you're allergic to something, and have retained fluid, they're gonna help you. And if not? Well, they will just do nothing at all I guess, which helps you rule allergies out as a cause of puffy eyes. I thought some folks here may want to give this a go, so there you are...

Puffy eyes can be caused by many factors, such as:

• Fluid retention
  • Allergies
  • Eye infections
  • A poor diet
  • Stye
  • Dermatitis
  • Blepharitis
  • Aging

They'll usually resolve on their own with some self care, but in people who have persistently puffy eyes, something bigger, such as the above, is more likely to be going on. Try cool tea bags, ice cubes, cooling eye creams, and cucumbers first. If you have no luck there, then seeing a board certified dermatologist and also asking an ophthalmologist is a very smart decision. When self care does not work, it is time to call in medical professionals! Diagnosing the issue may take longer than you expected but there should be some treatment. 

Celebrity

Puffy eyes scream inflammation. You could try drinking lots of green tea and eating a diet rich in vegetables, while doing your best to eliminate fast foods from your plate. Up your water intake, for sure. In addition, try using lemon and honey and/or cucumber slices on your eyes, and you may find that your puffiness reduces somewhat. Potato, too, has the ability to both reduce dark circles a little. (I forgot to mention this on the other thread.) It also reduces puffiness, which is what you are looking for.

At the end of the day, trying all those grandma remedies is going to be as non-invasive as you can get, and you have little to lose.

Rosie

Well, I can tell you what is the cause of MY puffy eyes with 100% certainty - lack of sleep. I have been working overtime and with a new boyfriend on the go as well, I just feel there are not enough hours in the day. My puffy eyes show on the outside how I feel inside, and you can't conceal them with makeup either!

I suppose I could try putting some cucumber or potato slices on my poor eyes but really, I should make sure I go to bed on time and I am almost certain that would solve the issue in no time.

Yeah. Having one of those gel masks that you put in the freezer will reduce puffiness around the eye area for sure and will make you shine. I have heard that in the 80s girls who used to model used to put haemorrhoid cream on their faces after a night of heavy partying. You can imagine this cream makes haemorrhoids go away so if you put it under your eyes you also get less swelling. Makes sense right?? But I am not sure if it is actually good for your skin or if it might even be dangerous to the eyes.

Coming back to this thread after reading something about eyebag surgery, because I'm not sure that the difference between puffy or swollen eyes and fat deposits is always clear. I just wanted to say that there is indeed a surgical way to treat baggy eyes. Depending on the cause, fat can be removed (eye liposuction) or tissue can be cut to remove the bags. This can, before and after pictures will tell you, make a huge difference in the appearance of the eyes. Now, I realize that this is by no means the non-invasive treatment you were asking about, but it is something that should also be considered.