I too had been on zoloft for a year and had over a 20 lb weight gain, so I tappered from zoloft in June and have been completely off it since July. I am also a marathon runner. This kind of weight gain makes training very difficult. My speed has slowed and no matter how much I run I can't seem to lose the weight. But I running a marathon in just over 4 weeks and as you know, need to eat to be able to run long training runs of 18 to 20 miles. This is very frustrating. I too went from a size 2 to a size 6. I would never have taken this drug had I known of the weight gain. I have stopped gaining weight since stopping zoloft. Just need to lose it now. Good Luck!

I felt it was really important that I add my personal experience to this discussion. I have been on zoloft for about a year and a half, and though I was quite hesitant to start taking it, I finally did upon my doctor's urging. I started out at a very low dosage of 25mg, and had no weight gain issues, initially. However, since I kept having breakthrough panic attacks, my doctor increased my dose to 50 mg... This is when the unexpected weight gain started. As I said, I was weary to go on this (or any) medication, and I was thorough in asking my doctor questions beforehand, especially about side effects. Not once was I told that zoloft could cause weight gain, particularly if you increase your dosage. I wasn't eating at my best, but not horribly, either & I was working out regularly (the combination of which would usually maintain my weight, not increase it), yet I could tell I had put on a few pounds. So, I started putting things into high gear & began cutting back on calories & majorly increasing my cardio. I still managed to put on a steady 2 pounds per month. It was at that time I went to the doctor & brainstormed about what could be leading to the fluctuation in my weight. Ideas were thrown around regarding my thyroid or birth control medication, but, still, zoloft was never mentioned. When I continued about my life as usual and decreased my exercise somewhat, I started rapidly gaining weight. At one point, I gained about 6 pounds in 2-3 weeks! I've never experienced something like this before & what made it so horrible was that I was never told it was a side effect, it took 3 doctor's appointments before the actual culprit was pinpointed, and I put on 30 pounds before I realized something was seriously wrong.

On a more positive note, since tapering off of zoloft & joining nutrisystem, I have begun losing weight at a pretty quick pace. I look forward to getting back down to my typical weight & being free of zoloft once and for all. Though, the withdrawals are torturous. I can only imagine someone tapering from a higher dose. Good luck to everyone out there. And if you suddenly start putting on weight, please go to the doctor & be sure to consider the medications you're taking.

:-| ? why is it that the people who have so much pain in the world thru depression hurts agonies and sexaual hurts as children
have to then be scared and frightened of drugs they are give in trust by a doctor that the weight gain the terors that go thru our minds induced from trying to regulate a medication that in the end you try to get off off causes every one around you to suffer and your brain and body goes thru so much agony ! ! ? ? ? :-( :-( :-(

I have had 2 stomach stapplings and was doing fine, then I was put on Prozac, then changed to Zoloft. My weight has sky rocketed. I spoke to my druggist and he told me it could very well be the Zoloft. Since I take it for minor OCD, I stopped taking it five days ago. I am going to monitor my weight and see what happens. I am 64 and look and act about 44 , they tell me. I am a lively person and I do not over eat, in fact I eat less than my little grand son. So we will see what happens from here on??? Dyan

I have been on Zoloft for the past 2 years and have gained a total of 25 lbs. I was 124 lbs at 5'3" before Zoloft and now I am at 143 (my highest weight ever). It's depressing to say the least given I never had a weight issue.

I stopped Zoloft completely about 3 weeks ago and have not seen any changes in my weight. I started on Wellbutrin and started eating right and jogging on the treadmill for one hour each day (5 miles per day). I am hoping that my metabolism will go back to the way it was pre-Zoloft. I hear it takes a few months for people to lose the weight gained from Zoloft. I'll continue to eat well and exercise.

After reading tons of comments about Zoloft and weight gain, I have not seen many comments about post-Zoloft and whether the person actually lost the weight and actually kept it off. SO, I'll definitely update you guys.

I just decided to google weight gain and zoloft. Im 5'7 and I have always weighed between 125 lbs to maybe 132 lbs while in my twenties. I started taking zoloft about 10 months ago and I now weigh 150 lbs. I can not belive it because Imy eating habbits havent changed and Ive started excersing because I noticed the weight. I still can not loose the weight. Its staying steady. I have always been slender but now I totaly muffintop out of my jeans. Im so gled that I read all of these blogs, I just thought that maybe it is because I am 27 now and my matebolism has slowed down. Im going to wing myself off of it and just deal with the anx during the day and just continur to take my Xznax xr at night. I miss my old body. My jeans do not fit anymore. It is so weird, I mean I eat healthy and not even as much as I did prior to taking zoloft and the weight just slowly keeps packing on. Hope this can answer someones answer if they are experciening the samethings!! GOODBYE ZOLOFT AND FATASS

I am almost 16, and I've been taking Zoloft for about 9 months. I was 14 when I started to get depressed, and was sent to an Adolecent Mental Center. I was in there for 2 weeks, and the doctors prescribed me Zoloft. While I was in the hospital, I hadn't gained any weight. You can't gain weight on hospital food, so I had no signs of weight gain while I was in admission. Once I was discharged, I ended up taking the MAX dosage which is 200mgs a day. When I was out of the hospital, I had lost a significant amount of weight. My friends and boyfriend saw this when I returned to school. My cheeks were sunken in, my fingernails were a deep lavender color, and I didn't want to eat at all. There was only two more weeks of school left, and so when I returned for my sophomore year, my friends were surprised. I had gained almost 50 pounds just over a 3 months period. I'm even moreso depressed than I was; High School is very tough, and the kids are extremely cruel. I want to lose this weight and stop taking my dosage. I want to be a normal teenager who doesn't have to take behavior pills. I really would appreciate some feedback. Right now, I'm pretty tall for a girl of my age. I'm 5'10, and I weigh 203 pounds. I really need help. Please take some time to help because no one else will listen. I just want to be normal..

I am a 43 year-old man and 5 years ago I stopped taking Zoloft. I was on Zoloft for about 2.5 years (the first year on a 25mg/day dosage and then moved to a 50mg and 25 mg on alternate days) and gained weight.

My scale registered 296 lbs at its highest this past January 1 2011 (I don't recall what it had been while on Zoloft, but not this much -probably in the upper 260s, lower 270s). It was a gradual weight gain from since I was about 35 years old (starting weight was about 170 - 180) and definitely was a contributing factor for my depression. But I could not tell you what came first.

But the weight gain was absolutely and unequivocally from lack of exercise and higher caloric intake. Not once did I think that the weight gain was unusual, unexpected and/or untraceable. Burgers, Pizza, Pasta, Sushi (the rice gets you), sodas and all other comfort foods you can think of were definitely the culprits and oftentimes I would be in denial about my caloric balance sheet. This denial would be personal and towards friends, family and professionals who confronted me with it. To this day I can swear that none of them had a clue about what was going on inside of me (of course this is the depression talking, in case YOU are in denial as well).

About 3 or 4 times while on Zoloft I did control my eating and changed my exercise habits for about 1 or 1.5 months at a time. On those occasions when I changed my caloric intake/expense balance I saw normal weight loss of about 1 - 4 pound a week. Once I saw a 30 pound loss in one month, but that included using Alli (you will c**p your pants with it), a manic amount of exercise (2 hours/day at least), a 1000 calorie/day diet (through a meal plan delivered to me) and NO cheating of any kind.

I am sorry to say that the deprivation and Spartan lifestyle made me extremely depressed and I rationalized my way back to all-you-can-eat Sushi's very quickly once I stopped it. It was usually me feeling really good about myself and the weight loss and giving myself a reward. Then it was a rainy day and me saying "tomorrow I'll double the workout and/or eat half the food. It's amazing how much one can BS oneself!

In the past 5 years off Zoloft I have maintained my (over)weight with a few fluctuation of the occasional diet/exercise sprees. This early January I was at my highest ever (296lbs) and was diagnosed with adult onset diabetes.

My advancing age is starting to feel more real: I was constantly waking up to pee and felt like c**p. I am going bald. Personal issues and work issues and what I can only describe as a mid-life crisis have thrown me into a new round of depression and newly acquired anxiety that have been making me think of going back into Zoloft. I have been on a healthy lifestyle since the start of 2011 and have recovered from 5 slip ups (I am keeping a journal and recording my BS) at the Sushi place -I do love the raw fish....- But the exercise and eating adjustments alone are not being enough to manage the anxiety and hopelessness that I have been feeling.

There are not many things I can control in my life. How I treat myself is one of them and my food intake and exercise habits are a lot easier than controlling my feelings and thoughts. I think of my existence as a tripod where the legs are: Feelings, Thoughts and Actions. Most of the time it is the actions that I have control over and hopefully can influence the other two positively through them.

Since January 1 2011 I restarted a regimen of 1 hour cardio (heart rate above 140 bpm) Monday thru Friday and added an additional 1 to 1.5 hours (totaling 2 to 3 hours total) on the weekends. Either by adding an hour of circuit training or playing a sport like biking, basketball, racquetball, etc. I have kept up this regimen with only 5 days off (3 during the snowstorms and 2 because of depression) since then.

I weigh myself every morning, after going #2 and before eating or drinking anything and I have seen my weight fluctuate by 6 pound in as little as 2 days! The one thing I can identify is that the weight gains comes after particularly intense workout sessions and I am attributing it to water retention by worked muscles. In both those instances when I did not work out, I was very careful to maintain my caloric intake and saw the weight drop 5 pounds in a 2-day period. Muscles do hold a lot of water weight! You CANNOT loose -or gain- 5 pounds of fat in two days (unless someone slices it off...)

As of today I have lost a total of 22 lbs, making it an average weight loss of .6 lbs/day (since January 1st, 2011). My blood glucose levels have returned to normal 80% of the time (there are still spikes when I am stressed, after waking up and after normal meals sometimes), I sleep through the night without having to use the bathroom, energy levels are up, but I still have bouts of not doing things to address/improve my life, over-thinking negative scenarios, obsessing over small (and big) problems, "cursing my luck", etc. -YOU know what I am talking about!

But, to the point, my desire to temporarily go back to Zoloft and my anxiety over how it will affect the one part of my life I feel I can control now (my body) have brought me to this forum and I have been touched and worried about the posts. Here (and in other internet forums) I have seen the same reports of people gaining weight inexplicably and attributing it to Zoloft. That, to me, feels horrible as, like I said before, our bodies are one of the few things we have a semblance of control over.

So, in addition to my lengthy discourse above (which is probably self-help journaling -I apologize-) here are my thoughts in contribution to this thread:

- With the exception of the marathon runners' and ballerina's posts, all other references to how much people are working out and/or eating seem very vague and sound suspiciously of denial and rationalization.

- Sticking to the self-denial/rationalization idea, I cannot recall one poster explicitly admitting to abusing food, either in quantity or quality. That, to me, Is an enormous red flag.

- Every single MD and Psychiatrist listed in these posts denies or, at most, recognizes the low probability of Zoloft being a major (if at all) factor in the weight gain. I don;t discount the personal experiences, but I do trust Psychiatrists in their knowledge of the etiology of drugs.

- The Wikipedia entry for Zoloft has many links to clinical studies that show the very, very low relation of weight gain and Zoloft

- If we are on Zoloft, it is obvious that for whatever reason we need assistance with maintaining proper emotional balance/attitudes/behaviors/etc. If you are cold and objective about it, I strongly believe it is more likely that the condition for which Zoloft is being used is causing us to overeat/move less/sleep more/eat worse/etc. I read one girl's post where she considered eating a footlong Subway as "eating healthy".

- When I was on Zoloft, the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness was alleviated and my interest in pleasurable things restored. That included food. Eating is pleasurable and can be just as easily abused without the depression driving it as some unhealthy form of self-medication or other recreational drug.

- The most successful technique I have found so far in my (failed) attempts at creating sustainable healthy habits was by watching "Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew". It involves me thinking of my current eating and action habits (not working out, not taking positive actions, etc) as an addiction and all the thoughts that run through my mind as the lame (to me at least) BS excuses the people on the show constantly spewed out.

- Finally (perhaps, I should have put only this in my post): I was on Zoloft for 2.5 years and experienced weight gain and loss that was only linked and commensurate with my patterns of activity and food consumption.

- After much thought and this lengthy post I have decided that the low probability that Zoloft might somehow affect my metabolism is far outweighed by the benefit of an improved mood and the decision to continue with a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck to you all!

I am 37 and exercise 4-6 times a week for an hour. I feel that I am in good physical health. I have a healthy diet and drink maybe 1-3 drinks per week. I have been taking 50 mg of Zoloft for 12 years and I'm wondering if it has contributed to the slow but steady weight gain I have experienced over the last few years. I used to weight 110 and now I'm more like 120-121. I am getting older, but in the last year, I have exercised more than I ever have before, running, lifting weights, doing Pilates, etc. I am frustrated by the major increase in effort and the zero change in how my clothes fit. I'm going to dump the Zoloft (knowing that i'll be dizzy for a few days) and see if that changes anything.

decrease to 100mg and you will probably see a difference. I did. It took a few months through.

i'm a 17 year old girl. i've been on zoloft for a year and a half. i gained about 20 pounds, but my weight gain went along with the amount i was taking. i stopped taking it about three weeks ago and i still can't lose anything. my doctor said it will take a couple of months for my body to reset its self. it's really frustrating because it's literally impossible to lose weight on zoloft. i'm happy i found this website,atleast i'm not the only one who magically gained weight.

I have been on Zoloft since I was 14 and weighed about 130 for my five nine frame. Now, 7 years later I have decided to try to get off Zoloft. I went cold turkey about a week ago and the side effects are killer :-( The reason for my wanting to remoove this horrible drug from my system is the weight I have put on in 7 years. About 70 pounds to be exact. My once slim body was turned into an ugly 200 pound five foot nine giant. I dont know what else to do other that get off the medication because I have not changed anything about my life since then with the exception of going to college. I feel so horrible about myself and with the zoloft, i just wanted to die. I really hope that the zoloft was part of my weight gain and that since I am off it completly, I can resume a normal lifestyle and TRy to lose weight.

I have been taking zoloft for several years now. I am extremely grateful for the results it has given me. It gave me my life back and I am told that I will need to take it for the rest of my life. I am a very active person. I work in a job where I am on my feet and constanly walking all day long, and I am quite physically active outside of work. My diet is a healthy one, with very few treats, and I eat less than my 5 year old cousin. In the past 5 years I have gained 87 pounds. Personally I don't care about the weight, because I think I look good when I'm heavy. But it started t gettng hard to tie my shoes, so I went to see a nutritionist. She agreed with the Zoloft theory. One thing she had me do is to STOP DRINKING DIET SODA, and switch to regular soda. I dropped 16 pounds right off the bat. She is also having me INCREASE my food intake and instead of eating 2 or 3 meals a day, I am snacking ALL day. Of course, only good food. I am losing 1 or 2 pounds a week. It's not a lot, but I didn't gain it all overnight either. So I guess I'm saying talk to a nutritionist before giving up the drug.

I am glad I found this thread. I have been taking sertraline (50-150mg) on and off for the past 3 years and since then I have gained 56 pounds! But so far, I have managed to lose 2 stones through running/ gym and a calorie controlled diet. I just wanted to give some reassurance that while it can be more difficult to lose weight (and slower!) it is possible.

While taking Zoloft (100mg), I lost quite a bit of weight (about 25lbs. - at one point, my PCP demanded I GAIN weight) - whereas my sister gained more than 25lbs. Mainly lost, I would imagine, because my appetite diminished, and the headaches were sometimes unbearable/made me feel the even more nauseated. But, you take the good with the bad and the bad with the good. I felt.. Better (used as means of temporary treatment for a mild bout of depression). My sex drive didn't change any, though I would experience weird little twinges/felt these, like, mini-orgasms throughout the day that were not due to any sort of sexual stimulation.

Although vanity got the best of me and I enjoyed the weight lost, couldn't handle feeling so tired yet so restless. I love sleep, and to have so many interruptions during was extremely annoying. Eventually I stopped taking it. And as soon as I stopped, I gained back that 25lbs. (but over the course of several months). My sister stopped taking it, and her weight dropped to her norm rather quickly.