It is assumed that sleep apnea or snoring are not due to weight in adults or large tonsils in children. However, I read somewhere that sleep-breathing problems can be caused by heart failure, thyroid disorders…etc. Anyway I think that my mom’s underlying condition is obesity and that she can solve her sleep-breathing problems with weight loss. Am I right?

Many things can cause obstructive sleep apnea including enlarged tonsils or adenoids, deformed or too large uvula and large, thick tongue, but one of the common causes of sleep apnea is obesity where fatty throat tissue blocks the airways. There are a few diet plans and ideas for losing weight that she can try with. There have been few formal studies of how effectively weight loss improves snoring and sleep apnea and striking improvements in both sleep apnea and snoring have been observed in persons who lose weight.