Hello, I am 27 years old female. Snoring destroyed my marriage, and I am desperate because of this. My husband was snoring and in the end that destroyed our marriage.

Hi, with all due respect it can’t be that snoring alone destroyed your marriage. It looks to me that you are feeling bad now and there must be some more reason for destroyed mariage. If this is the only reason, then you might consider seeing the therapist, because this is not completely in order. My friend’s wife is very alike to you, but I hope that their marriage will survive. Sorry if I was hard to you but your question was somewhat odd. Have a nice day.

You don't go into much detail so it is hard to reply sufficiantly and I don't really know what your purpose in posting was but I would like to say that I feel that snoring can be very stressful on a relationship. It is not just the snoring but the effects of sleep deprevation on your partner as well. It is very serious when one partner snores and the other CANNOT sleep.
This is very,very unhealthy for your partner and can effect them in all areas of their lives. Snoring has effected my life very much. My husband loves me very much but after not sleeping well for more than a year he could no longer do it so he took to sleeping on the couch because he did not want me to sleep out of our bed...he wanted me to be comfortable. We would argue because I would insist on taking a turn on the couch, and there I would be plunked on the living room couch and he would then go downstairs to the other couch, stubborn that I should have the bed...one night we both were so stubborn that each of us slept on a couch and no one slept in the bed! Well we ended up buying a very comfortable day bed for our basement and we take turns sleeping down there.( I have to say I want to so I can do an early morning workout and not have to wake him up(it's true). He would not where ear pluggs because he felt he could not be alert to protect his family. I miss him so much though...I feel very alone somenights and experience anxiety when I never have before. I hate sleeping apart. I have tried so many things but nothing has helped. It is actually phlegm in my throat that causes me to snore and nothing will give me even a moments relief. Anyway...just wanted to say I understand the stress, I'm sorry for the loss of your marriage.

my partner snores...sometimes very loud...I like it.

Snoring is a loud, hoarse, or harsh breathing sound that occurs during sleep. Snoring is common in adults and is not necessarily a sign of an underlying disorder. Snoring is an important social problem. Persons who share a bed with someone who snores can develop sleep difficulties. Do you?
Sometimes, however, snoring can be a sign of a sleep disorder called sleep apnea. This means you have periods when you are not breathing for more than 10 seconds while you sleep. The episode is followed by a sudden snort or gasp when breathing resumes. Then, snoring starts all over again. If you have sleep apnea, this cycle generally happens several times a night. Sleep apnea is not as common as snoring. A doctor (or a sleep specialist) can tell if you have sleep apnea by doing a sleep study either at home or in a hospital setting.
Common Causes
In most people, the reason for snoring is not known. Some potential causes (other than sleep apnea) include:
• Being overweight, which leads to excessive neck tissue that puts pressure on the airways
• Last month of pregnancy
• Nasal congestion from colds or allergies, especially if it lasts a long time
• Swelling of the muscular part of the roof of the mouth (soft palate) or uvula, the piece of tissue that hangs down in the back of the mouth
• Swollen adenoids and tonsils that block the airways
• Use of sleeping pills, antihistamines, or alcohol at bedtime

Home Care
The following tips can help reduce snoring:
• Avoid alcohol and other sedatives at bedtime.
• Don't sleep flat on your back. Sleep on your side, if possible. Some doctors even suggest sewing a golf or tennis ball into the back of your night clothes. This causes discomfort if you roll over and helps reminds you to stay on your side. Eventually, sleeping on your side becomes a habit and you don't need to be reminded.
• Lose weight, if you are overweight.
• Try over-the-counter, drug-free nasal remedy that help widen the nostrils. Natural remedy such as homeopathic cure are also recommended. (These are not intended as treatments for sleep apnea.)
Call your health care provider
Talk to your doctor if you have:
• Excessive daytime drowsiness, morning headaches, recent weight gain, awakening in the morning not feeling rested, or change in your level of attention, concentration, or memory
• Episodes of no breathing (apnea) -- your partner may need to tell you if this is happening
Children with chronic snoring should also be evaluated for apnea. Sleep apnea in children has been linked to growth problems, ADHD, poor school performance, learning difficulties, bedwetting, and high blood pressure. Most children who snore do NOT have apnea, but a sleep study is the only reliable way to tell for sure.
Ask yourself
Questions may include the following (some of which your partner might have to answer):
• Is your snoring loud?
• Does it occur no matter what position you are lying in or only in certain positions?
• Does your own snoring ever wake you up?
• How often do you snore? Every night?
• Is your snoring persistent during the night?
• Are there episodes when you are not breathing?
• Do you have other symptoms like daytime drowsiness, morning headaches, insomnia, or memory loss?

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

i am so sorry i hope this can help you as it did me

There is a simple product gthat is easy to use Ysnore anti snoring nasal spray is also effective. Just spray into the nostril before sleep and it will stop the snoring and let couples get a blissful sleep. Go tot heir website and see

I was married three weeks ago. I have used a CPAP for one and one half years and I thought it was doing a decent job. We never made love before our wedding, because my wife is very religious and moral. Since the wedding, we have only made love 5 times.She complains about my snoring and how she cannot get any rest. Last night, she recorded it and played it for me this morning. It was disgusting. I can't believe it is 2012, a noisy CPAP is the best technology available, and this problem is destroying marriages. I doubt our marriage will last long. I am so depressed over this. I've waited 5 years to meet someone I truly love whom I think is beautiful, and now this damn problem is going to ruin it. I have an appointment with a surgeon in two weeks. If they cannot help me and I lose her over this, I may jump off an overpass or find another way to end my life. all I've ever wanted is to be happy and have a normal love life. If the woman of my dreams  is too turned off by my snoring to make love to me, is life really worth living?

I understand how it ruined your marriage..my husband is a heavy scorer and it almost ruined my marriage as I could not function at al becauseofnlack of sleep andhedidntnunderstand why I was cranky in the edit took me almost two yearsctovmake him understand it is some nights impossible to sleep next to him I go to the couch or any bed.....living with inlaws so no extra rome either. I'm miserable. I just want my peace at night 

same with me too

Hi, I feel very sorry for you and other guys who have this problem. My life became miserable because of my husbands snoring as well. We don't have spare bedroom, so very often I end up going to the main room sleeping on the uncomfortable couch in the middle of the night. My husband agrees with all what I say to him about going to doctor, but never do anything. I am pregnant now and my nights are horrible, I sleep just few hours per night and don't see any solution to the problem. I tried earplugs, but they cause ear infection for me, no nose-drops work, for a while my husband had special device that you put in the moth and it moves your jaw so snoring isn't that loud, but now, with he is gaining weight and this thing doesn't help anymore... I understand how the snoring can ruin marriage, and looks like ours is on the same way. Just don't see solution...

Hi, my husband and i have been together for 20 years, he means everything to me. we have had to sleep apart for the past 7 of those years due to his snoring/ sleep apnea. I hate it, I'm so heartbroken that its hard to see straight. Before I go any further, you should know that this is my first blog/ post ever. This entry is not directed towards anyone in particular, but from reading thousands of blogs and stories about folks in the same situation - its more a view from a different perspective. I try not to judge others, because what works for some may not work for me ( or you) . In my most recent search for an answer , I find the web covered with articles about how sleeping apart is so good for your marriage, it's so hip and exceptabl , etc. - good for you, if it works than go for it . But for me? It's not doable and ill tell you why - sleeping together at night is a reassuring intimacy that can't be replaced by any other act of love or kindness that is given throughout the day. To fall asleep within the comfort and strength of the special someone you have built a life with is amazing. If you have never experienced that feeling than I can see why it might be so easy for you to move away from it. I have tried believe me, but it involves distancing myself, like keeping overly busy to fill the void, which really doesn't help at all. I might take this time to say that we have both tried EVERYTHING made, written or advised by our Dr. to overcome the problem, i have been hurt and resentful. the thing is, it was more me pushing him to motivate which he at times became very resentful as well, and so on. At this point in our relationship he sees the damage it has caused', and I see what I could have done differently as well. Anyway I'm moving into a wider subject area. I just wanted to say that I understand those of you who are afflicted with this dilemma. Its heart wrenching and very damaging to certain people. Here is something else I have seen written many times, people assume if a couple does not sleep together, they do no have sex..... are you kidding me?! again I'm not judging here, if two people can only have sex at night in bed well ok then, but not all of us. Thankfully my snoring beast and I are still attracted and butt crazy for each other, and it doesn't get in our way- at all! So lets just put that stereo type rumor to rest for a percentage of us. :) I will say that the hurt feelings and tension brought on by the apnea/ sleeping apart problem may have prevented more activity than there could have been, (maybe) but who knows, it definitely has effected every part of our relationship in a negative way, but there is no one else for me except him, i won't be completely happy until I can snuggle into his arms in the same bed and fall into a blissful sleep. We love each other so much, It's just the best. (Sigh)

I am 51 years old, and married for 22 years.  I have a problem of snoring, which my wife finds  so disturbing that she demands that I sleep in another room.  I tried using anti snoring spray, but to no avail.  Puting salt water up my nose, as well as drinking eucaliptus tea and rubbing eucaliptus and/or tea tree oil before sleeping has been of partial help.  At times, my wife is able to bear me next to her.  This has been going on for about the past six months. 

I am also concerned that my snoring is not the central problem, as my wife insists that she loves me and will never leave me.  About 11 years ago, we had a similar problem, and my wife demanded I sleep in a separate room.  This went on for four months, and ended up with an almost divorce.  Our social worker dissuaded her from divorce, and our marriage went on for another 11 years with markable improvement in our relationship.  I must say that back then, during those four months,  we slept in separate rooms on a nightly basis, while now,  at least we sleep in the same room at least a few times a week or at least half a night, we sleep together.

I would like to know if anyone has any insights to solving our problem.

Hello to the guest who posted just a few days ago.  My husband is a snorer.  It was pretty brutal for us, in all honesty.  I found myself getting less and less sleep - to the point that the prospect of sleeping in my unheated detached garage started to seem appealing.  I bought him a ton of natural anti-snoring remedies with no luck, until I found the right one.  When I bought it I thought it was kind of a shot in the dark, but it has worked like a charm.  And the best part is that my hubby says he wakes feeling well-rested, which he never did during his snoring years.  I wish you luck - my prayers go out to you and your wife.  I know full well how tough this can be on a marriage.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Sorry about your marriage. I didn't marry a snorer and was criticized and told I didn't love her enough. when I spent the night with her I would be miserable the next day and not productive at all. I used brain wave technology with some success. In the end the snoring was an issue but not the reason we didn't marry. I know this is not a solution but we all have a right to protect our health.