Hello, guys. I have a two year old child. He has been recently very ill during night. He would wake up in the middle of the night and couldn’t breathe. Doctors told me this condition was called sleep apnea. I would like to know something more about this disease in two year old kid. Thanks for everything.

Hello. Sleep apnea is a condition where one has one or more pauses in breathing during sleep. One can also swallow breaths while asleep. These pauses can last from few seconds to 5 minutes. After this, normal breathing starts again. Sleep apnea can also happen to older people. In mild cases, lifestyle changes can be enough. In some cases surgery is recommended. I would recommend you to talk to your kid’s doctor about the details. Good luck!

Hi there,
I am afraid that doctor is right in this case. This is a condition that is called sleep apnea. Sleep apnea has many symptoms, such as snoring, restless sleep, sever bedwetting and night terrors. Also there are several more characteristics that sleep apnea has. For instance your child might sleep with his mouth open which can than cause dry mouth and breathing problems as well. Also morning headaches are also a sign of sleep apnea. The most common treatment is removing the tonsils and in some cases the adenoids as well. But you have to talk to his doctor about this before doing anything. I hope this helped you in any way.

All the best,
Danella