I am concerned about my fiance's stag night. He is on wellbutrin and has always been a light weight and I am worried about the possibility of seizures. Should he go off Wellbutrin before his stag? He would prefer not to have the entire group know he is on wellbutrin and I don't see them being easy on him??

The problem is that you never can tell how things would turn out. Alcohol carries risk of seizures, that is for sure but you can’t tell if seizures will occur or not.

You fiancée needs to know his limits and he may control his alcohol intake without other guys noticing he is on medication. Even if they do notice, he can always say he has high blood pressure. He shouldn’t be discontinuing the drug just because he is planning on drinking.
Alcohol and wellbutrin may make him drunk more easily or he may tolerate it better than usual. He may have worse hangovers though.

Things depend on his daily dosage as well. Your fiancée should know that the drug itself already has an impact on liver, not to mentioning adding alcohol. Ok, one night may not hurt him but the risk of seizures is still present.

It is important that he knows the risks and he needs to be aware of the fact that he cannot get sloshed. It is how it is, and he has to deal with it.

Man I like my booze too and just started wellbutrin.It's gonna be tough to limit myself but when it comes down to it, feelingbetter and getting my life back on track is much more important then getting smashed every weekend.

I too love my alcohol but just started taking Wellbutrin a week ago so it is now off limits. Does anyone know if you can have a few glasses of wine or champagne without the risk of a seizure?

I too want to feel better and stop self medicating but a glass or two would be nice once in a while without the fear of having a seizure.

I love alcohol and I was prescribed 250mg wellbutrin XL about a month ago. I still drink and it hasnt ever done anything. In fact I used to chase down the pills with a shot of vodka or some wine. The only thing you should not do is drink and smoke weed. I tried that two days ago and I went crazy. My boyfriend said something to me that upset me alittle and I started to shake alot and I was sobbing and laughing at the same time. I am never like that and ever since I smoked with this medication for the first time 2 weeks ago, I have felt very irritable and out of it. I no longer show as much affection to my bf and Im not very interested in spending time with people. I think it might have messed up my serotonin levels 0r something. Alcohol is probably fine though in reasonable amounts.

?

I have had a strange side effect since taking Wellbutrin, my desire for alcohol has diminished considerably. I still like the thought of it, and will have a glass of wine, but find myself barely drinking half of the glass and that is with effort. This is very unlike me, I like my booze, not that I am complaining, far from it, but I have not been able to find any postings etc of folks who have the same side effect.
If only it would have the same effect on my smoking cigarettes

I am having the same diminished desire for alcoholwhich thrills me. I am a heavy drinker normally. I hope I don't get the cravings back so we can halve the loot spent on booze and maybe pay a bill or two. Hopefully hubby will drink less since I'm not joining him. Fingers xrossed

I started Wellbutrin a few weeks ago and have also noticed the diminished desire to drink alcohol. I'm not a big drinker, maybe just a few glasses of wine a week. I think I want a glass of wine but then I can't finish it. I also have extremely dry mouth and have to drink water constantly, but I think that is because I am on Nortriptylene also (for migraines). I'm going to see about changing migraine meds because the thirst is so excessive.

What? You can get seizures from drinking alcohol while on Wellbutrin? I've been on WB for nearly 10 years now, and I usually have 2 or three cocktails every evening, and nothing's happened yet.

(At this point I guess I'm required to drag my hands across the keyboard like I'm having a seizure... I'll spare you.)

My doc added Wellbutrin XL to my Zoloft Rx.  She never said anything about alcohol.  A week later while at a girlfriends house we started drinking.  I had a terrible reaction but didn't know it at the time!  Initially, I felt drunker quicker but eventually, it evened out and I felt fine.  Fine enough to drive home (1 1/2 hours from my last drink).  I do not remember driving home!  The next thing I know, my husband was tapping on the window of the car in the driveway.  I was OUT!  I am so thankful that I did not hurt anyone.  Since then, I've tried a glass of wine at home and started feeling "drunk" again so I stopped.  

I've been on Wellbutrin xl 300 for 6 years. I can drink a hole bottle of vodka a day with no problems. I can function normal for all u haters. I like the taste if my grey goose. I don't drink to get drunk. I only drink coffee (black), water and vodka. Nothing else. Never had a problem. I guess it all depends on the person.

i am an alcoholic.... sometimes i test the waters.... since taking wellbutrin, i have no desire to drink and even when i do have one out with friends, i, too, just barely get through one.. amazing and wonderful side effect.... it's like i can drink like a normal person. this effect has now lasted 6 months since i have been on this. I have probably had 10 drinks in 6 months.... i can only assume it's the Wellbutrin...