I seem to have become extremely sensitive to the effects from alcohol after almost 1 or 2 drinks. The glands in my neck swell for approx 1 week and I also experience nausea / slight dizziness.

Obviously the answer here would be to stop consuming alcohol, but could there be any permanent answers to this problem ? I have had no success with explaining this to my GP.

Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

this is the EXACT same thing that happens to me! im scared to drink again... do you know if theres meds we can take or just a certain drink to avoid or SOMETHING!???

You should really be checked out by your physician as you may have a type of Cancer called Hodgkin's Disease- not necessarily- but definately something you should follow up on.

You may have developed an allergy to the Barley in beer if thats the drink,many people do not realise that an allergy can come about later on in life even though they may have never had any symptoms prior,some include swollen glands as well as a puffyness in the face and hands as well as redness,the second opinion proquo was started by the medical community primarily because there can be so many things associated with symptoms that may make it impossible to pin point the exact cause,and any delay in appropriate treatment for the more seriouse conditions may result in life threatening situations,so a second opinion is required for anything that seems out of the ordinary such as a cold or flu,even then a lingering symptom(s)should be followed up on.
Ask yourself does anyone in your bloodline have an allergy toalcoholic beverages if the answer is yes then you may have the same condition,though it may never have revealed itself in the past,allergies are one of the least understood medical conditions that effect everyone to a certain extent,you have an allergy to at least one or two things whether youve realised it or not,whether it's dust,pollen,smoke,or other,it is such a wide area that can be as simple as a fibre or food additive,or a food itself,some allergies do not show up unless a certain quantiy is accessed,this may make it to a point where you can no longer tolerate a high dosage of a particular ingrediant or other substance,etc.

this happens to me too....i loooove drinking my vodka and i used to be fine with it...but now sadly enough when i drink even a little bit i tend to get a swollen gland in the left side of my neck and sore throat...it sucks but i suppose i could just move to another drink?? :cry: i just want to kno if this is an alergy and why it hit me now instead of when i heavily drank it...anyone who knows would be greatly appreciated if you emailed me some more info:******

thanks

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I am a regular drinker of beer. But last night after consuming beer, my glands swoolen, is it allergy? What remedy should I take

To all those concerned,
I am 29 years old and I have been having the same reaction for about 1 month now. My sour glands sting from consuming 1 to 2 sips of alchol, whether beer, wine, or liquor. I even ate a sandwich that had a dipping sauce with small amounts of vermouth, and had the reaction after just tasting the sauce. If I drink more than 2 drinks, I am up all night vomiting, and into the morning.

I spoke with my doctor regarding this allergy and this is what he said.

This is called alcohol or (aldehyde) dehydrogenase deficiency. What this means is the body is no longer able to metabolize alcohol normally. It is normally hereditary in people of an Asian descent, and is relatively uncommon in Non-Asians. I am not Asian, and as far as I know, no one in my family suffers from the deficiency.

Aparently what happens is, since the body is unable to metabolize or break down alchol in the normal manner, the chemical acetaldehyde is produced in excess, causing the sour glands to swell, and the body's rejection of the alchol altogether.

There is some information available online, just type the name into google.

Todd

If you're taking zoloft and drinking, that could be why. Zoloft is also diluted the same way alcohol is in the body. Zoloft also contains alcohol.

wow, my throat is killing me right now.. it doesnt happen all of the time but when i drank 2 nights (too much) my lymph nodes have swollen up like golf balls every time i try to eat something (especially with salt) its almost impossible. its also only happened with me since ive only started drinking on weekends

I have been having a peculiar issue with slightly swollen neck glands for a week or so, but in which time ive been drinking a bit more rum than usual. I was worried that i caught some other odd illness. but the only thing i could think of differently within the past few weeks and before that was drinking a lot more than usual. It starts going away but the last few times i drank i felt like i was getting sick again.

It almost feels like when you catch a cold. Those same glands swell when i catch colds.. so I never imagined it could be related till i googled "alcohol and glands" and found this. My lower left side sometimes starts to hurt slightly. Have I damaged myself more than I realized?

i get swollen glands constantly. any time im sick its always tonsilitis mono or strep. and even if i dont get enough sleep my glands swell. it seems that since my freshman year in college it happens much more often. and when i drink excessively, the next morning i can barely talk and i come down with something like tonsilitis. the only connection i can think of with this is that its my immune system being weakened by the alcohol. and even for a few hours any kind of germ can come on in and take affect. i was told by my doctor that glands swell when there is an infection in a persons body. maybe thats why all of you have the same problem i do. when you drink your body weakens and germs take affect pretty rapidly. im a health freak, i take vitamins regularly i work out and i eat healthy...yet i get sick almost on cue every 2-3 months with the same thing, whether i drink or not.

i get the same thing would love if this conversation continued... I want to know what it is.

I get a problem with alcohol - if I drink it or have it in food I end up with a very sore throat and then the symptoms of a bad cold for the next two or three days.  I only became aware of this having stopped drinking alcohol for about six months, then had a bad reaction when I had the odd drink.  I have mentioned this to a number of doctors and not had much feedback on it except to be told that its probably healthier not to be drinking.
Avoiding alcohol isn't usually a problem, although the risk is getting it in food.  When I went on holiday to Italy there was a constant worry that they would be chucking wine into a sauce without referring to it on the menu.  However I think I suffered worst in Morocco when there was alcohol in a fruit salad - in a muslim country I was not prepared for this - and I was seriously ill for about almost a week.
Luckily I can still party the night away sober, and can remember all that happened the next day.

I would like to add a post regarding similar effects of alcohol consumption.

Mine started when I was 16.  A friend of mine accidentally jumped onto my neck in a swimming pool.  That week, I had the first "neckache".  My neck was radiating pain from approximately the base of the brain, or hairline, down through my shoulders.  The pain was so bad, I actually thought of banging my head into a wall for relief; I have not experienced anything else like this, not a dental procedure, not a car wreck or whiplash.  This was not JUST a headache, but again the pain radiated from my neck down, and I liken it to being the tin man with a spot of rust?

Anyway, that is the preface.  I have found years since this incident(more than 10 years later), certain circumstances which exacerbate the pain.  Intoxicating spirits cause this pain.  Here is an example, I can drink coors light and miller and blue moon, but NOT budweiser or bud light as this will cause the neck pain.  I can drink white wine but NOT red wine.  I can drink vodka but not Scotch or whiskey.  All of these alcohols, if I drink more than one serving I will be guaranteed to wake up with intense neck pain.

One connection I have made, I was intoxicated the night my neck was injured in the pool when I was 16.  I did not seek medical attention for the incident.  I noticed this a couple of years after the accident, the link between the pain and alcohol consumption.  Also, it seems the darker the liquor, the more likely the pain.  I may have developed an allergy to certain alcohol byproducts, or maybe even alcohol and alcohol metabolites. 

I post this after a night of Scotch and soda.  I had 4 servings of Scotch last night, and of course I have the neck pain this morning.  In a blood test 6 years ago, my liver enzymes are all OK. 

Anyway, my experience with alcohol and neck pain is undeniable.  I may have wildly made a connection between the incident in the pool and my neck pain.  One other thing, sometimes I will get an EXTREME neck ache without alcohol; my neck is so sore nothing will help. I am unable to make a connection between what has caused that pain, but I can make the connection between alcohol and neck aches.

The same thing happens to me...my lymph nodes are swollen right now after 2 glasses of ORGANIC (thought it was maybe a sulfate allergy) wine that I drank last night. I also have eye pain/pressure and redness . I recently realized after agonizing internet searches (scary stuff   eh)   that I most likely have an allergy to the alcohol, and/or that my body does not metabolize it as it should, so I cut back. I am not an alcoholic by any means, but I WAS enjoying wine off and on throughout the week. I started noticing that I would get very dizzy the next day. Not the normal hangover feeling, just really dizzy and foggy headed. Before I realized what was causing my dizziness, I actually started getting panic attacks for the first time in my life. I have also had a weird eye issue, that I am certain is related to this problem. The swollen lymph nodes for me, also means inflammation in my head and around my eyes. Eye pain and redness that sometimes last up to 2 WEEKS!!!! It's as if all of the moisture is sucked out of my eyes, causing them to become inflamed and painfully red. I drink water after drinking alcohol and in the morning and I use eye drops, but it obviously is not enough. I know that alcohol causes inflammation and dehydration, which obviously make matters worse. I had narrowed drinking down to just the weekend, and hadn't had a drink all week. I had 2 glasses of wine last night, and I am paying the price. The lymph nodes in my throat were fine all week and so were my eyes and than BAM :'( It's good that someone mentioned  John Hopkins disease in a post above, because I didn't realize their was a connection between that disease and swollen Lymph nodes in the throat after drinking. While most of us that experience this unfortunate problem, probably don't have JH,  I think its a good idea to rule it out. I plan on having a biopsy on my lymph nodes in my throat as soon as I can. I also believe our body's tolerance changes due to stress and/or poor diet changes and lack of regular exercise. I have had enough stress too cause problems, as most of us have. We all need to detox, and many of us never do. Our poor livers become bogged down with so many toxins and I think if we can take time out in our lives to clean up our diet and our act ;-) We will find that we will feel much healthier and may be able to enjoy things that once wreaked havoc...in MODERATION of course! I hope I don't have to stop drinking wine forever, or deal with this situation if I do, but I certainly know it's time to regroup, to take a break from any alcohol  and DETOX.  I am in no way connected to the company I am about to mention, just to let you know, but I wanted to let you know that I think the Fat Flush plan is a great detox/weight loss plan that makes sense. It cleanses the liver, which is what so many of us need. I plan to do the smoothie shakedown as soon as I have some $$ to get started. I will come back to this site and leave an update to let you know how it turned out.... If I can remember! I want to say to all of you....HANG IN THERE  :-| You are not alone in dealing with this! Good Luck!!!!