Hello all,

Since September, I've noticed that whenever I drink, I tend to immediately get a sore throat (pain from the throat to my ears). If I have more than a few drinks, I'll have a sore throat for days and will feel like I have a mild cold. I only drink on weekends (if that) and I have noticed a huge difference on weekends I don't drink. As of right now, my throat has been killing me since I woke up Tuesday from having a few glasses of wine Monday night. It also feels like my throat is swollen (muscles around it hurt).

My mother who is a nurse jumped to the idea of me being allergic to alcohol - I'm thinking it may have to do more with my throat, since wouldn't I have other symptoms if it was an allergy? I do plan on making a doctor appointment soon (can't take the constant pain anymore) but would like to go in there having an idea of what this is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Other facts: I don't smoke, I'm very healthy (work out every day and eat good food). It is dryer than usual in my apartment, but this also happens other places. I don't have other known allergies.

Thanks,
bmack

Since I suffered from almost constant sore throat for over a year - every few weeks it would come again - unrelated to alcohol, cold/warm weather... basically anything you could think of, it turned out to be simply a infection that became resistant to one antibiotic after another. So, since you're generally healthy, I think they will just take a swab to see what is causing this and if it is infection (and it most probably is) it is treatable - it took a while, but I don't have any problems with throat anymore.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar response to alcohol. Almost every time I drink, I get a sore throat and then it turns into a cold or tonsillitis. I have a very strong past with strep throat and tonsillitis as well, but I do not know if the alcohol is making me more susceptible to these infections. The only other symptom of an alcohol allergy that I get is the flushed, hot face. nikols, did the doctors ever figure out what was wrong? and what did they recommend? 

I have the same issue.  I had two beers a two nights ago and now my throat is sore and my glands are swollen.  This is quite normal for me... I guess the only solution is to stop partaking in the occasional beverage, but I would like to know what causes it.

I came off alcohol 5 days ago now whenever I eat I feel like my throat is closing up every time I eat doesn't half scare me takes bout half hour to ware off would any1 no y I was a heavy drinker as well .

I know this is an old post but I would love to hear if you ever found out what was wrong? I suffer from almost exactly the same problem and my throat is still killing me today (Friday) from drinking over the weekend! This has been happening for over half a year now.

Please let me know if you've found any solutions to your problem!

I am having these exact symptoms after drinking way too much cheap tequila 6days ago. What did you find out was your issue? I have a Dr app't in 2days but I would love to hear from you ASAP as our symptoms are exactly similar. I have had this happen after drinking too much before but it has never lasted more than a day or 2. I have a sore throat, soreness to my ears at times,the roof of my mouth and tongue. Ibuprofen helps but I hate taking medicine so often. Thank U So much

Hello, did you get this sorted, i have exactly the same thing going in x

hi bmack, i'm 68, and have drunk most of my life, sumtimes to access, i also dont smoke, but, like you in the past 2 months have suffered with a sore throat, even after drinking a little alcahol, would you be good enough to e-mailme with any useful info that you gat, i also will  send to you if you enclose your e-mail ( i'm not on facebook or twitter )  thank you for your time.  GLEN

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

STOP DRINKING IF YOU ARE GETTING SICK

I DON'T GET SICK BUT I SOMETIMES GET RASPY FOR A DAY OR TWO. I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S SEXY. BUT LIKE I SAID, IF YOU GUYS GET SICK FROM DRINKING THEN THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG. GET IT CHECKED OUT.

Hey guys. I have this same issue and was given a solution. I went to all types of doctors but my pains and travels eventually led me to an ENT doctor. He said the problem is acid reflux and although I don't fully understand how it works, he said that the alcohol goes to your stomach and somehow travels back up through your throat or something like that. For me, my throat would get sore one or two days after drinking and would turn into total body chills, headaches, ear pain, bodyaches, etc...the whole nine yards. Anyway, the solution was to take Prilosec OTC before you start drinking alcohol. This worked for me ifor the first year or so, but now it no longer works so I just stop drinking altogether.

Acid Reflex? Gerd? Heartburn? Alcohol can increase your risks with those GI issues which can lead to a sore throat. I'm going through this right now.

Hi all, not sure if any of you knew this but Hodgkin’s lymphoma has a rare side effect that within minutes of drinking alcohol you get a very sore throat, go rule it out with your GP!

Yes, this is most likely acid reflux/GERD. Stomach acid is travelling up your esophagus when you lie down at night. You can take tablets like prolisec before bed but alcohol and particularly acidic foods will burn your throat going down if you never let it heal and don't change certain habits. You may have a hernia which traps stomach acid into its pocket at the top of your stomach which makes it easier for the acid to leak. You can try sleeping on your left side. Due to the natural shape of your stomach the acid won't leak as much. You may also notice you have a dry and prevalent unexplained cough which is another symptom. Acid leaking into your esophagus can cause Bartlet's esophagus which causes cancer. Some foods will irritate more than others-red wine, tomatoes and other nightshade. Good Luck.