My uncle told me he has got polups in colon. Somewhere in the same time I found out my grandfather had them too. I would like to know more about polups. I guess I am in risk group because it’s common disease in my family? Also I would like to know if it’s dangerous, and how to recognize polups one day.

Polyp is extra tissue that grows inside the body. Colon polups are polups in large intestine or so called colon, place where body makes and stores stool. Most of polups are not dangerous; they are benign, what mean they are not cancer. Some of them during time can turn into cancer, mostly larger polups. For safety of patient, doctor usually remove all polups and test them. You may be in risk group, since that seems to be family disease. To prevent that you should take care of what you eat, stop if you smoke, don’t consume alcohol, do some exercises etc. Usually small polups don’t cause symptoms. Doctor can find them during regular check up or while testing them for something else, mostly people over 50 years old. Some of symptoms are bleeding from anus, constipation or diarrhea.