I consider my 9 year old son happy. He has many friends, he goes to school, and we have no problems with him. But, once when my husband and I told him that we want to go on 7 days trip with out him he panicked. Well, we canceled the trip, but we can’t always do that. He is not a baby anymore. Is it normal that separation anxiety occur in 9 year old boy?

Separation anxiety is the most common anxiety disorder in young children. It can be extremely disruptive to a family, not to mention the child's development. It occurs in 9 years old kids sometimes in older kids. But the separation anxiety in children under 10 is very common. The good news is that it can be successfully treated, but the problem is that it may take a long time to "grow out of it”.

Hallo,
This is almost a book case of separation anxiety. Separation anxiety is a developmental stage where your child experiences anxiety when separated from the primary caregiver in your case when your son experienced that he will separated from you and your husband. Now this condition usually ends when child is 2 years old and it is little abnormal that your child has this problem now. He should realize this by now that you and your husband will go away from him from time to time. You have to understand that if you haven’t left him alone whit someone before whiteout your present this condition might have prolonged a little bit. But I would worry too much because he will be fine once he realizes that this is normal thing.