Hello everyone. My friend Jacob has a beautiful teen boy John. He is really good pupil, he was playing sports all the time. But I remember that Jacob called me one day telling me that he noticed that something is going on with his son and that he doesn't know what it is about. So he took him to the doctor and doctor told them to go to see the psychologist. So they did. After running some tests, he told them that this boy has OCD. 

Now Jacob is blaming itself because he believes that he should notice this. I am also curious how he didn't see the symptoms. 

What are the most common signs and symptoms of OCD among teenagers? 

Yes, it is very weird that he didn't notice symptoms in his kid. I mean, as you said he noticed that he is different than usual, but he should have noticed the symptoms. Maybe he was not spending a lot of time with this son? OK, it is not my job to preach and I don't want to judge. It can happen to anyone. Obsessive - compulsive disorder is lately very common among the teens and I am really sad to hear this. Some of the symptoms are : constant repeating of some unwanted ideas, aggressive impulses, fear is always there, constant checking of something or someone - those all are the symptoms that you can notice very easily.

I see. But would not agree with your ascertainment that he didn't spend a lot of time with his son, because he did. Every day he is trying to go out with him, to talk to him and similar things. Anyway, he told me once that he noticed that he always repeats that he wants something that he can't get, but he believed that this is some usual behavior of the teen boy. One day at the football game he became aggressive, but that is also pretty normal behavior. 

Am I wrong? I think that every kid has this kind of behavior occasionally. 

Yes Hannah, I understand what you are saying, but those are not the only symptoms that this kid could have. And I am sure that this kid was going through really hard period. It is very hard to deal with this type of disorder, especially when you are a teen. Also, everyone who is suffering from OCD is generally very anxious and emotional and also this is something that is very visible. He probably showed some symptoms such are excessive worry, extreme tension, and the constant feeling that nothing is ever right and those are the symptoms that can lead to depression as well.

When you once see someone suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder, you will always know how to notice if someone is suffering from OCD. It goes the same for teenagers and adults as well, there is no difference there.

The most common signs and symptoms of OCD include fear of contamination or dirt, needing things orderly and symmetrical, aggressive or horrific thoughts about harming yourself or others, unwanted thoughts, including aggression, or sexual or religious subjects. These are just some of the most common signs and symptoms, there are more of them, of course, but they are less common so they are not that important.

I don't know, I always saw people suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder to be like, extra tidy and to keep everything perfectly arranged, or at least this is what TV taught me, at least I think so. They like want everything to be perfectly done, they are perfectionists, everything has to be in its position, not an inch on the left or on the right but on the exact position where they want it to be. And they are very clean, they can wash their hands 100 times in an hour if they think that their hands are dirty, that's what I think.

That is just one way in which OCD can manifest itself Guest, my aunt was suffering from that kind of OCD, when you want everything to be in its place, everything arranged as you want it to, for example, white socks on one side, black socks on another, blue ones on another, etc. You can see this sign in everyone suffering from OCD but if they do not fit in this special category of OCD, they won't be so obsessed with being tidy and everything being perfect as would other people who are suffering from OCD which fits in this OCD category.

Shaman is right, there are a few categories of OCD and each of these categories has its own signs and symptoms. They all have some same symptoms, just like Shaman said, but these symptoms are going to be weak so you need to know which category does his OCD belong to in order to know which signs and symptoms is this person going to show.

Teenagers might show a big lack of attention for everything and instead of that, they might show huge attention to small things and small details, and they will want everything to be perfect, just like others already said.

There are some symptoms but the doctors say that you should never diagnose someone with OCD based on things that you read in the magazines or on the internet. My father used to have some problems and we all thought, after reading about OCD on the internet, that he is suffering from OCD. He was stubborn and kept saying that this is just the way he is but we eventually talked him into talking to a psychologist and guess what - he was right, it was simply how he is and he wasn't suffering from OCD, now he is mocking us because of what we thought.