My son is 3 years old and he has been having kidney problems ever since he was born. He had this anomaly with kidneys and he suffered often from all sorts of urinary infections. This all caused hydronephrosis and I am very worried for him because his condition got complicated. When does hydronephrosis go away?

Hydronephrosis is the change on the kidneys, manifested with the widened of its passages (that also might happen in urinary tract). In children, common cause of this condition is vesicoureteral reflux, so hydronephrosis is just a complication of VUR, and when that is treated, hydronephrosis will be gone. So, I guess you know what to do next.

Hello there,

First of all I am so sorry that your son who is only three years old has to put up with all that. It is not easy to be a parent of the child with kidney problems as well.

The good thing is that the hydronephrosis is always consequence of some other underlying condition, and in your son’s case it is VUR, so once the main problem is resolved the hydronephrosis is resolved as well.

The symptoms are gone in a day or two. So you need to see with your son’s doctor what are they doing to resolve the main problem of your son’s kidney issue and also you should see what you can do to prevent issues like this in the future.