I’ve just had an ultrasound at 33 weeks and my baby has been diagnosed with hydronephrosis. That made me very concerned… The doctor even said he may need surgery after he's born, and that really worries me!!! I mean, if my baby needs surgery immediately after it has been born than it has to be something really serious!!! Can anyone here tell me anything about it? How this condition will affect his kidney function later in life??? Please respond.

You’re not alone. in your concerns. In the recent past, hydronephrosis, which is actually an enlargement of the kidneys caused by some degree of blockage to normal urine flow, was very uncommon and surgically treated. On the other hand, nowdays the situation is entirely different. With the large number of quality prenatal ultrasounds, a large number of children with some degree of hydronephrosis have been discovered - as many as 2% of children, mostly boys. The good news is that about half of the cases of prenatal hydronephrosis will resolve spontaneously before the child is even born. Actually, as some studies showed, only about 7% such children eventually required surgery. Moreover, none of them experienced any permanent loss of kidney function. So, do not worry too much – it is highly probable that your baby will get well in weeks to come without any need for surgical treatment. But, even if he/she does not get better, thankfully, this surgery is safe and effective. Best of luck for you and your baby.