A friend of mine told me that she was diagnosed with dysthymia and I would like to know if it is something that can be treated. I mean, I know that it is some sort of depression, but how serious it is? She is very dear to me and I would like to help her as much as I can…

Well, the good thing is that dysthymia is a mild form of depression and therefore does not have those severe symptoms and the prognosis is much better. Although, this is a chronic condition that might last for a long time. I guess that there are standard meds for this condition, and therapy sessions might be included too.

Hello there,

It is a great thing that you are so worried for your friend and there is probably a way that you can help her. For people with dystimia prognoses are much better than with people who are suffering from chronic depression. First of all symptoms are mild and it is treatable easier.

Since every person is different you can never tell how long the treatment is going to last. Medications and therapy are usual options for most of the mental conditions and dystimia is no exception.

You can talk with her family and ask them what you can do to help and how can you get involved in her life at this point of time. good luck and I hope she will be better.