Hi everyone. I had two cats, but three months ago one of them died :(. Since then, my other cat, boy Carlos is really sad, and his behavior is so bad and strange. I think that he is sad, he just doesn’t want to play anymore. Sometimes, he is in his box and he whines all the time. Whenever I want to play with him, he refuses. He is playing for ten minutes and that is it. There are days when he doesn’t want to eat nothing and I don’t know what to do. I was reading something on the internet, and now I think that my cat is depressed. Can you tell me what are the most common causes of cat depression?  

Hello, I am really sorry to hear that, I know the best how it is when your cat is depressed. From what you said, I truly believe lost of his good friend definitely is the reason of his depression. What you can do is to give him a lot of love, to pet him a lot, to treat him with some nice food, maybe even to buy a new toy and try to play with him. When my cat was depressed few years ago, I tried really hard to entertain her and keep her busy as much as I could, and somehow, together, we went through it :)

Poor little thing. Yes, unfortunately it seems like your kitty is depressed. That is one of common reasons in fact. And it's completely expected, if they were together since they were born and raised together, they must have been attached and used to each other. I remember that a friend of mine used to have a cat who was seasonally depressed. That cat was feeling down every winter, but as soon as warm days show up she would be normal. Also, cats can be depressed if they are moved from one place to another. It is truly stressful to them, because they don't like to change surroundigs at all.

Aw..I am so sorry to hear this. My cat was depressed as well for a while, but it was nothing so serious. Now, according to your words, your cat is depressed because she is missing a friend :/

There are so many ways, but I really think that this is the main reason? Maybe you should adopt some other cat again? Those are all signs of depression. I have one more question – does your cat sleep normally, a lot, just like they do? This also is a sign of depression. You cat is probably less interested in some activities. Those are signs and I am pretty sure that she is really, but really depressed. You need to do something about it. 

My cats are never depressed. I like to think that the reason is that they have a lovely life, I try to give them as much attention as I can, I try to walk them as much as I can. I prepare them food that is not heavy for them. And they’re always together, so they’re always occupied with each other.

My friend on the other hand has a cat and she never walks her. She lives in a small apartment alone and her cat is alone at least nine- ten hours a day.
She works a shift from 2-10pm, and she needs at least half an hour to get to work.
I think that caused her cat to feel lonely, bored and that escalated to depression

I was in the same position several times with my cats. Although I take care of them, they are very prone to illnesses because we don’t keep them in house all the day and they roam free all over the neighborhood.

When one of them dies, others are very depressed for several days, but with time they get back to normal. But, there were cases when some of them continued to feel depressed for a prolonged amount of time and then we needed to pay more attention to that cat. We kept him or her in the house all the day and pet him/her more than usual, feed favorite food, play with his/hers favorite toys, and grooming the kitty.

Consequently, this will lead to improving in cat’s mood. If not, you need to consult veterinarian.

My girlfriend also have a cat and I don’t remember that she was depressed – ever. There are so many reasons for this. This cat is definitely depressed because she lost her friend. That is the main reason. But, please, don’t get me wrong, you should pay more attention on your cat Carlos. You need to take her out more, you need to find some new way to play with him…There are so many thing that you can do to help her.

Adopt another cat, why not? Maybe this will help you. Actually, I am sure tha this step will help you. 

Cats can become depressed if they lose their owner.My grandparents had a cat, she is now 18 years old believe it or not. Ever since they died (and they both diet within a month) she’s been acting strange. She seems like she is not interested in anything that’s happening around her and she sleeps for at least 14 hours a day.She refuses going out. If you try carrying her out, she will start scratching you, even though she used to go out when grandma was alive at least once daily.It was only recently when my son approached her when she started giving signs of actually caring for the rest of the world.