I am very worried about my daughter. She is 21 years old. She was always smart girl, willing to learn and she was going to so many sections - Italian language, tennis, ballet and even chess. But lately she is not doing any of those activities. 

She keeps telling me that she is forgetting that she has for example her tennis class and when I remind her about this, her professor tells me that she is not focused at all.

To cut long story short, she is not focused to do anything anymore. I don't know why.

I was talking to my current boyfriend (he is a doctor) and he told me that she has some signs of depression.

What to do about this?

Are really memory loss and an inability to focus obvious signs of depression?

It's not really the same for all people, some people who are suffering from depression end up with better memory and some end up with worse memory, it all depends on their emotional and mental state. So memory loss can be a symptom of depression but on the other hand, if you didn't notice any other symptom, it's probably not.

However, an inability to focus can easily be a sign of depression. There are not many other conditions which could be the cause for this so if you think that there are any reasons for you daughter to be depressed, it might be it.

I don't know if it is a symptom of depression or not, I just know that I am having some symptoms of depression (I did a bit of a research on the internet and the internet told me that I might have existential depression) and my memory got so horribly bad in the last year. I cannot remember some basic things, I often can't remember words and I don't know what. I swear, sometimes I am so frightened that I might soon end up suffering from Alzheimer's disease. This is, I hope, won't be the case and I really hope that my memory loss is connected to depression.

Depression is not something that you should diagnose yourself with. You need to talk to a psychologist, you can try and talk to your doctor first but he is only going to redirect you to a psychologist because your doctor isn't authorized to diagnose you with mental disorder.

If you really are suffering from depression and if you simply leave it like that then your memory loss is going to get even worse and so will your inability to focus. You need to do something about your current condition and I think that talking to a psychologist will do you more good than anything else.

What if I don't want to talk to a psychologist? To be honest, I thought about it at some point but I decided not to do it because I don't think that I could benefit from it. I probably won't be able to open myself to this person and I am a liar, I think that I will lie to him as well which could lead him to get the wrong picture about me and maybe make things even worse for me. I don't know, I just don't feel like doing that, is there anything else that I could do maybe?

I am really sorry because of your daughter. Something is happening in her life, that is obvious. 

Depression, memory loss and unable to concentrate - those are all signs of the depression, you are right about this. Those are symptoms that can affect your daily activities and in those cases, you are not able to work properly. All the researches has suggested that pretty slow ability to take in information quickly and efficiently is associated with depression.

She needs to talk to someone because this can really affect her future life. I am sure that there is some reason for this, something has happened. I am sure. 

I haven't expected such a huge help from you guys in that short time. Thank you so much, this really means a lot to me. I have tried to talk to her, but sometimes she refuses it. When she accepts to talk to me she is telling me that there is nothing wrong with her and that she has some phase in her life that will go away. But I don't see it like this anymore. I have tried to convince her to talk to my boyfriend but she doesn't want to hear about it. We are in a huge fight because of my suggestion and she doesn't want to speak anymore with me about anything generally. I am desperate because I want to know what is going on in her life but she won't allow me.

Yes, she is showing some classical signs of depression and that is some classical behavior and denial when it comes to this. When you can't focus on certain things that is a huge problem in your life. Actually, it becomes major issue. 

This can affect you in every possible way and that is exactly what is going on with her. I know that is hard, especially when it comes to kids, but you really should try to find the best way to force her to talk to someone. That is the only way to see what exactly is her problem and how to cure it. 

Your kid really needs help and she needs it soon. Denying is also a huge problem. I understand that it is very hard to convince her to go there, but you should try to do anything. I am saying this because I had the same problem, but I believed that those symptoms are not connected to depression. Anyway, all that I really want to say is that psychotherapy have helped enormously even though I have experienced relapses. I would never change talking to an expert for anything in this world. I really hope that your kid will be able to understand this before it is too late.