Guys, I need your help.

My wife has some insomnia issues ever since she gave a birth to our daughter. Helen is now 14 months old, but my wife still has problems with sleeping.

She doesn't want to see our doctor, but I can tell you that we all do penance because of this, even our daughter.

I was talking to my friend who is a physiatrist and he told me, that according to some symptoms, my wife is dealing with chronic insomnia. But I can't help her since she doesn't want to go to see anyone who is an expert.

So, I was wondering what can I do?

Do you even have an idea what are the most effective treatment for chronic insomnia in adults?

Hello Rocky boy!

Chronic insomnia treatment is something that can last more than you expected. If you convince your wife to start with this, huge step in her life (which would be really good), you need to be prepared that you will take all responsibility for your daughter.

It is going to be a really long period for three of you.

Behavioral therapy is actually a good thing and it is combined with an introduction to sleep hygiene and stimulus control. This therapy usually contains from 6 to 10 sessions, depends on how hard condition is.

But your wife has to have total peace during this process.  

Chronic insomnia is something that you can't treat alone. Your wife obviously needs some help. You can try to do a lot of things, but trust me, nothing can help her as some therapy. That is why I want to suggest you to see if there is any chance to convince her to talk to someone who is an expert. If she is like that ever since she gave a birth to your baby, that means that her issue is in progress. I think that she can deal with it if she combines behavioral therapies, which include sleep hygiene and stimulus control that also includes a relaxation with certain medications. I believe that this is the only way. I am not sure that there are some home treatments that can help you. I am sorry.

Definitely, the best cure, in this case, is behavioral therapy. It is good for any type of insomnia and it contains so many different factors which are combined together and they can help you. There are so many patients who have claimed that their problems with insomnia have been successfully treated by behavioral therapy. They saw some improvement of daytime function, quality of life, and so many other issues. Also, behavioral therapy is well tolerated and has a low risk of adverse effects.

I really can't tell you what all this BT contains, but I know two people who had success with it and they are really happy with it.

You need to convince your wife to start with this one. For your kid!

Come on guys, maybe it is not that dangerous. Sure, chronic insomnia and classical insomnia have pretty much the same symptoms so you can't really tell that you wife is dealing with chronic insomnia until she visits her doc.

Maybe she just needs a relaxation, especially if she is spending a lot of time alone with her daughter, which is possible. Maybe she just needs a progressive relaxation, that is based on the theory that any individual can learn to relax one muscle at a time until the entire body is relaxed. 

Start with one group of the muscles. Go slowly to every other.

Turn on some relaxing music. Give her some space, maybe she just needs a couple of days alone to get rest. 

I was helping all the time. I think that she never had problems because she was raising our kid (I was helping her). All the time! Sure, maybe she is just tired because I am at the job every day, while she is not working. But whenever I take care of our baby, when we are out together, she can't sleep. I always find her watching television, listening to the music or cooking. Trust me, I have tried so many things to help her relax, to help her to get rest. But nothing. That is why I believe that this has escalated to chronic issue and that is my biggest concern. I want my wife back, I want us to raise our love together...

Rocky, I am very sorry to hear this. I was in similar situation like your wife is now, but I noticed this alone and I went to consult my doctor alone. Nobody was forcing me to do that. I was talking to my doctor and he suggested me so many different therapies. One seemed OK to me, so I wanted to try to fight this with it. I have tried cognitive therapy. For us, who have problems with waking at night, we are very worried that we won't be able to do our hob normally next day. Usually, this worry can exacerbate their difficulty falling asleep, and it also can do a lot of things. One of those things is creating a vicious cycle of wakefulness and concern. That is why this type of therapy is good. While you are at this therapy, you are working together with a therapist to deal with anxiety and catastrophic thinking, while establishing realistic expectations related to insomnia and the need for sleep.It helps. I found it very helpful. It is nothing difficult and I would recommend it to anyone.