My daughter is 31 years old and she was diagnosed with depression. I am scared for her, but I don't want her to know that. I noticed that she is having some health conditions, and I can say that those health issues are now chronic.

I want to talk about this with her, but I can't for some reason. I am afraid that she will refuse to tell me more about this and than, we are in problems. There is one thing that also bothers me - can a depression be linked to a chronic health conditions?

Please, let me know!

Hi Guest,

There are only a few health conditions which can be called chronic, are you sure that your daughter has one of these? Examples of chronic illnesses include diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, kidney disease, HIV/AIDS, lupus, and multiple sclerosis. So what do you say, does your daughter have any of these?

Depression can definitely be linked to chronic health conditions because people who are suffering from one of these chronic health conditions are more prone to suffer from depression, it is said that every fifth person suffering from one of the chronic health conditions is suffering from depression as well.

It is just like Eating Boss has told you, people who are suffering from a chronic health condition are more prone to suffer from depression and I think that that is quite easy to understand because dealing with one of those chronic health problems can be so hard and exhausting.

Your daughter is not a kid anymore, she is 31 and you can't do much to help her unless she is still acting like a kid and she isn't really being an adult. In that case, you need to talk her into seeing a psychologist- that is the best thing that you could do for her.

Well, research says that every fifth person suffering from a chronic health condition started suffering from depression as well which isn't that bad, actually. I had expected more of these people to be suffering from depression, at least 50% but if you think of it this way, it makes sense: their fights with their chronic health conditions require a lot of time and energy so they don't really have time nor will to think about depression or to be depressed. So not such a big number of people who are suffering from a chronic health condition are as well suffering from depression.

That makes sense, I would also expect from people who are suffering from any kind of chronic health condition to be more prone to depression but I guess that I would be so wrong. I mean, it still says that one in every five people who are having a chronic health condition is suffering from depression as well which is caused somehow by their chronic health condition but that is not too big of a number, is it? Nowadays so many people are suffering from depression that it is crazy. Well, I hope that your daughter is going to be okay anyway.

Hi!

Unfortunately, chronic illness and depression are  regular in our lives. That is sad, you will have to agree with me, but we can't do anything to stop this once it starts to happen. We should learn how to control and live with it.

Sure, depression can be linked to a chronic health conditions. Actually, many people who are diagnosed with chronic illness experience depression. In fact, depression is one of the most common complications of many chronic illnesses. It is estimated that up to one-third of individuals with a serious medical condition experience symptoms of depression. It is nothing weird, especially when we realize where we are living. 

Fight against it. 

Yes, it can and it is not hard to see how those two are connected. It is totally true that any illness can trigger depressed feelings, but when you take a look at the bigger picture, the risk of chronic illness and clinical depression increases with the severity of the illness and the level of life disruption it causes. And that is logical. Now, the risk of getting depression is generally 10% to 25% for women and 5% to 12% for men. People who have any type of "touch" with any chronic health conditions are also prone to get a depression. I really hope that I have well explained this to you, I hope that you do understand. Have a nice day and good luck.

God! Who ever has problems with it, they need to find a way to control it! It is very important. And you know why? Because those two issues in the combination can't bring anything good to you! It can result with - heart attack, stroke, cancer, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, diabetes, and so many other diseases that I really don't want to mention. Like others told you - yes, it is connected and chronic health condition and depression are, let's just say related. This is a condition that needs to be monitored by your doctor!

You should definitely pay attention on the symptoms. There is no need to be that worried if you don't feel different, if everything is the same like it was before. Just observe. I think that people in here are scaring you too much. Yes, you need to be careful, but not terrified. 

If you discover that tests and analysis are positive, you need to seek for the best treatment, Well, the treatment of depression in chronically ill patients is similar to treatment of depression in other people. It is most important for you to know that early diagnosis and treatment can reduce distress as well as the risk of complications for all those possible illness that you can get. 

I don't think that you knew what exactly chronic health conditions are so I am assuming that your daughter isn't really suffering from any of these. However, if she is already diagnosed with depression, you should be focusing on how to overcome her depression and how to help her fight this. Remember, don't let her fight this on her own, she will need your support. Depression is treated with psychotherapy and with medications, the sooner she starts with her treatment, the better. If you can influence her in any way to start with her therapy, do it, that is the best way you can help her.