Hello, folks. My neighbor has schizophrenia and lately he has begun frightening me. I do not feel safe near him. I would like to know what the requirements for the hospitalization of the schizophrenic person are. I am really interested in this. I hope someone will know to answer me. Thanks, guys.

Hello. Since many powerful medications have been developed for schizophrenia, there are not so many patients hospitalized. If they are regular with their therapy, there is no need to hospitalize them. However, if there are acute psychotic episode and crisis, a person is hospitalized. This is especially valid if this person is dangerous for people from surroundings. In hospital, they can interact with other patients, so it can bring some benefits. In the hospital, medications are only one part of the treatment. There is also a possibility of individual psychotherapy. You should talk to your neighbor’s relatives about this. Maybe these people are not familiar with the problem.