I have a question. I have a friend who is suffering from bulimia and it took me ages to convince him to talk to his doctor. Now, when he finally visited his doctor, the doctor told him that he needs to be hospitalized. This is weird because I never thought that bulimic people should ever have to be hospitalized.

I am here to ask what do you think about this, is it normal for bulimic patients to be hospitalized? And if that is the case, if it is normal, how long do you think that their recovery could actually last?

Hey Guest,

Well, it is not a common situation but it does happen sometimes. If the doctors think that a person with bulimia should be hospitalized, then he should be hospitalized. Sometimes bulimia patients just have to be hospitalized, but rarely.

When it comes to recovery, weeks and months can pass until you can see a significant difference in a person. Some people even require more than a year while taking medications and talking to a psychologist in the meantime. It is one of those nasty eating disorders, it gets to be as nasty as anorexia, so it is not strange that it takes this long to treat.

Yes, sometimes bulimic patients have to be hospitalized although these cases are rare.

Recovery for bulimic patients can last a lot. I mean, are you talking just about their recovery in the hospital or are you talking about completely overcoming this disorder? If you are talking only about the time they would spend in the hospital, it shouldn't really be more than a month, but if you are talking about overcoming this completely, it can take a lot of time, just like Eating Boss said. But it doesn't matter, your friend should do whatever it takes to get rid of this.

Hello Gaia, hello Eating Boss,

So basically, since my friend ended up in a hospital because he is bulimic, is he in life danger or something? The first thing that goes through my mind when someone is hospitalized is some severe life-threatening condition or injury. Can this be that serious that his life is in danger?

Yes, I was only wondering how much time will have to pass until they will release him from the hospital, what do you think? You said about a month at the most? He has been in the hospital for 20 hours already, I hope he doesn't have to stay for an entire month.

It all depends on why exactly did he end up in the hospital in the first place, why exactly did he have to be hospitalized. Regarding my experience with this, I don't think it should be more than just a couple of days. Everything should be okay in a matter of days but your friend will have to follow a special diet and he will have to talk to a psychologist and to a dietitian as well, I think. Well, the main part is that he gets well enough so that he could get out of the hospital, then just keep fighting this.

Hey there. You don't necessary need to be in the hospital because of bulimia. It all depends in what condition you are. Of course, it can happen sometimes if someone's case is really serious. Anyway, eating disorders are something that needs to be treated. I know a couple of girls who had problems with bulimia but they never needed to go to the hospital. They just needed to be controlled, they needed to visit the doctor occasionally and they needed to follow the rules which their doctor prescribed to them. Of course, they needed to have constant support from someone in the family.

Cases when doctor hospitalize the patients are very rare but they can happen. Now, about recovery process - it also depends. 

It depends a lot on your body and your mind. But some tests shown that it takes about nine months to re-gain normal eating habits. Sometimes it can last for more than one year, but like I already told you it is all in your mind and how you will behave about it.

Metabolism, eating habits and energy also play a huge rule in recovery process, so once you combine them I am sure that you will recovery much faster. 

I was talking to my doctor about this issue as well. He told me exactly the same thing that you are saying in here. But about recovering process, he told me a little bit different story. For example, my doctor told me that it can take 2 years but that he has seen full recovery happen for people who really stick to a good eating plan, and for those people who are taking certain supplements and look after themselves. But you need to consider that we all have really stressful life all the time and that is a little bit hard to follow some good eating habits and some plans and programs. But generally, you should try because you have nothing to lose, right? Good luck!

My good friend had  bulimia for sixteen years! Yes, 16 years and I remember that this was very long recovery process.  I remember that doctors put her on some mega calcium for her joints and bones, and as far as I remember, her kidneys were destroyed as well. So she needed to drink a tons of water each day. She was in the hospital about 10 days when they needed to determine what is going on with her health generally, and than they found out that she had destroyed kidneys, joints and bones. 

Those are the cases when you really need to go to the hospital.