Hello! My toddler is recommended a tonsillectomy. He has had several infections lately and his swollen tonsils make it difficult for him to breathe. He also has bad breath and he snores and mouth breaths while sleeping. I don’t know anyone who did tonsillectomy recently and I don’t know what post tonsillectomy care should be for a toddler. Is there anything special I should know?

Hello! Tonsillectomy is not used as frequently as it used to years ago. Now, it is recommended only after antibiotics failed to control the infection or if swollen tonsils are making it difficult to your child to breathe. Your toddler should have plenty of liquid (water or non-caffeinated soft drinks). You should know that he may refuse to eat or drink anything since his throat will hurt him and you have to get him drinking to avoid dehydration. Any bleeding from his mouth or fever are a sign to call your doctor. You toddler should recover completely after two weeks.