Hello! My brother is undergoing sphincter surgery. He felt extreme pain during defecation and we were really worried about it. His pain was so severe that he even avoided defecation. He suffered a lot because of it and I really hope this surgery will solve his problems. Since I don’t know much about this condition and the surgery I would like to get some useful information.

Hello! Anal fissure is a tear in the skin lining the anus which causes pain and bleeding. Hard, dry bowel movement is the common cause but diarrhea and inflammation of the anorectic area can also cause it. Anal fissures can be acute or chronic. Acute fissure is usually treated non-operatively by high fiber diet, plenty of fluids and special creams. When a fissure doesn’t heal the reason may be scarring or muscle spasm of the internal anal sphincter muscle and it is corrected by surgery. The surgery is done under local anesthetic and most of the patients have no further trouble after the surgery.

My anal sphincter muscle was cut in half during the delivery of my first born. I've undergone one surgery for repair, but it didn't work. Any chance I could have an artificial one inserted? What is the recovery time and does it work? I can't control gas right now and I always have to stay close to a bathroom. I am 55 and have suffered with this for years.

Dear Hopeful,
I have a similar problem and was referred (by my dr) to the Urogynecology and reconstructive pelvic surgery Department in my medical building. I didn't even know this specialty existed before. Well... long story short, I am participating in a new research program for the Topaz sling system for fecal incontinence. See this site: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01090739?term=NCT01090739&rank=1

Read down the page and see if there is a center near you... they are still recruiting patients for the program. I am 64 and have suffered for years. Now I am scheduled for surgery later this month ... the Tobaz sling. It all sounds wonderful. I hope it works. I'll let you know how it goes if you contact me.

Cauki

My sphincter muscle was damaged due to cancer. I'm better now thank God, but I also would like this problem solved. I have an appointment in June to see the surgeon who can correct it. So I know it can be done. The only issue for me is will he do it.

I hope you found a doctor by now. Please update me on your progress.

Blessed

Anything related to the word "sling" is frightening these days. I really hope this person had success and would really like to know of her progress.

Are there medical centers in California that specialize in this surgery?