Just wondering if anyone has had a sphincterotomy , i am due to go in five days for the surgery. I have a large anal fissure that needs fixing , plus getting a scope and they are removing some polyps and widening the colon. I am so scared it is crazy. I had a hysterectomy three years ago almost and now i have pelvic prolapse from starting an exercise program. I have a cyctocele , where the bladder has dropped , also an enterocele where the small intestine protrudes through a weakness in your abdominal wall. I have skin tags and a skin flap that needs to be removed also. I will be put out for the surgery but wondering what to expect when its all done.

thanks
sharebear

Hi there! Well, once the surgery is completed, you will be taken to a post-operative or recovery unit. Your length of stay will depend on the complexity of the procedure. Most patients return home on the same day. Your doctor will explain the procedure for post-operative care. This will involve keeping the operated area clean and dry, eating a high fiber diet, drinking plenty of fluids, and using stools softeners. As with any surgery, there are risks such as bleeding, infection, or an adverse reaction to anesthesia. There is also the possibility of an abscess or fistula formation, or the inability to control gas and bowel movements. Your doctor will discuss these risks in detail. Be sure to call your doctor if any of the following symptoms appear: Bleeding, Fever, Redness, warmth, or swelling around the incision, Drainage from the incision. Patients usually resume normal activities after one to two weeks. Full recovery may take as long as two months. Good luck! :-)