My husband is suffering from vitiligo and it looks like that he is getting bothered with it more and more as he is getting older (I guess it should be the other way around but it is not). Anyway, since I would like to help him, I guess I need to know what causes vitiligo and what are the treatments for this condition?

Unfortunately, true reason for vitiligo is not yet determined. There are some indications that several factors are responsible for this illness, including genetic, auto immune and environmental causes. Still, this does not help much with the therapies, which are mostly based on use of cosmetic preparations. There is also melanocytes transplantation, but that procedure is still not that effective. And when it is, it is not determined for how long its effects last.

Vitiligo is a pigmentation disorder in which pigment producing process of skin disturb in a certain part of the body and white spots appear in skin.

Vitiligo exact causes are not fully known to any one but here some word from a vitiligo causes related source, that
There are several theories regarding the cause of vitiligo but the actual cause is not fully known. According to one theory, people with vitiligo develop antibodies that, turn upon them and destroy their own melanocytes instead of protecting them. There is another theory according to which the melanocytes somehow attack and destroy themselves. Finally, some people with vitligo have reported that a single event such as severe sunburn or an episode of emotional distress is the main cause of this order. Scientifically, events of this nature have not been accepted as the main cause of vitiligo

For me it started with LIPIDIL - I took these tablets for high cholesterol; they caused 'eczema' (according to the doctor) but I wasn't convinced. I'm 55 and have never had eczema in my life. So i stopped taking LIPIDIL and yes, the itchy skin rash disappeared but in return i got these white marks, exactly on the spots which i have been scratching due to the 'eczema' - mainly on my arms, some on feet and neck.

Currently they are unaware of what actually causes vitiligo, but there is no treatment for it. The best you can do usually is apply makeup to make the skin tone look more even rather than any actual treatment. As is my understanding, the tone will never fully even out so it's not as though there will be a point where the skin will even out.

It can be embarrassing, but I don't think that as many people notice as sufferers imagine. In any case, I wish you the best and hope your husband feels well.