I’m a 22 year old man of African decent with vitiligo covering 50% of my face and body, I need a good cover up that matches my brown skin tone.

Is there any safe dyes/stains I can use on my skin on a regular basis? I’ve heard of Dy-O-Derm vitiligo stain but a lot of the reviews I’ve read say it gives a golden even orange colour like tanning sprays do so I know that wont match my skin tone. I’m thinking more like brown leather or fabric dyes to stain my skin a more natural colour. Anyone know what types to look for that wont be toxic to use on my skin even delicate areas like my eyelids?

I’ve also read that people in history would bathe in walnut oil to stain their skin brown, anyone use this method before?

I’ve also heard there are body paints that stay on the skin for about a week used by artists using the human body as a canvas, so there must be a good semi-permanent cover up somewhere for us.

I’ve tried brown hair dye on my skin but it gives a ashy colour that I aint feelin.

I’ve tried a lot of salon quality tanning sprays too but like I said they give off a more golden colour rather then brown.

I don’t want to use make-up to cover it up because the areas I need to cover is too big and I don’t want to have to apply it every morning and have it wash or wipe off. I’m really after a dye to apply once or twice a week that wont wash off too easy.

On the real, at this point I really don’t care if its toxic or not I’m just tired of being that black man who’s turning white…

I’m here to ask people who are familiar with this disease that might know of a natural dye/stain that’d be kind to my skin and turn it brown to camouflage it before I do anything stupid.
-Malik

Jan Tana competition tan bronzer used by body builders sounds like it would be perfect. They have pictures of body builders it gives very dark coverage. You can apply 2 or 3 times for darker results. You can check it out on their web site. Good luck to you.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. I have used Dy-o-Derm on my vitiligo for many years with good results. I am caucasian but my skin is fairly dark. The problem is that Dy-O-Derm has been discontinued and I am so upset. I am currently using a self tanner but it really doesn't get as dark as my skin. I just found a product on line called Vitigone that I have inquired about. It sounds like a dye rather than a self tanner so I am encouraged. Good luck to you. People don't understand how difficult it is to live with vitiligo.......but I do.

Hello another thing you can try is chromelin by sumlabs, I am african american and I don't have vitiligo, but I feel the same way you guys feel about my legs that had eczema when I was younger, and my parents was given Kenelog ointment which was a steroid to put on my legs, and I have suffered from the light pigmented spots on my legs for 40 years now. The thing about my spots is that they are in uneven patches, and when I try to patche up one area of the ligths spots, it gets on my skin that does not need the chromelin, it looks like I have a bunch of outlines little circles on my legs, until I darken the light spots and then put a complete coat or two all over my legs, which starts making my legs to dark to me. It is water proof and last 1-2 weeks literally. The bottle is only one ounce and I've been using it off and on for years and they don't sell a bigger bottle. I was looking to order some today and was surprised its $20.60 now, just about 6 years ago I use to pay $7.99 for it. I hope this helps.

I sure understand how difficult it is to live with Vitiligo. I am still looking for a product that provides a natural look and is easy to apply. I haven't tried Vitigone yet. Has anyone had good results with anything?

VITILIGO STAIN RECIPE: After Dy-O-Derm was discontinued (it never worked great anyway) I heard you could mix food coloring and isopropyl alchohol to create a dye.  After working with this for months I have finally come up with a great formula and solved the issue of it rubbing off.  I use the dye in private areas too so I needed a darker tone.  I am going to share my formula here and the color can be adjusted for your needs with some experimentation.  Two layers allowing to dry some in between will darken it up too.

FORMULA: 1/3 CUP - 92% Isopropyl alchohol Liquid food coloring (not gel): 65 drops RED, 33 drops BLUE, 35 drops YELLOW Mehron Barrier Spray (2 oz pump) - 1/2 bottle (about an ounce)  Mix it in because if you spray it on afterwards it will cause the colors to run. (The Mehron keeps it from rubbing off.)

Hope this helps.   Vitiligo is a pain.

I forgot to say in my formula: apply with a small artist brush (about 1/4 inch wide).   Don't use cotton or cue tips or whatever as it absorbs the stain and waste the product

I am a caucasion with tanned complexion. The formula is along the same tone as Dy-O-Derm but a much better match for me.

Sharon, if you are still looking for a substitution for Dy-O-Derm see my recipe on this same page.

Hello Sharon I also used Dyoderm and im not sure abouit Vitigone. Did you orderedit? how was your experience compared to Dyoderm?

Hi Sharon, I was interested to find out if you had found a substitute for dyoderm. I had bought quite a supply so was using it for months until recently ran out and find that the product has been discontinued. It was also working very well for me. Please let me know if you have find an alternative I have also heard of people making their own dyes using rubbing alcohol. thanks hope to hear some good news :-)

Are you dark skinned. Just trying to get an idea if this would work for me. Thanks for the "recipe "

Try Vitiligo Cover lotion. I have read very good reviews. Yet to try for my vitiligo.

H am hispanic of mixed heritage with  medium complexion but get very dark in the Summer, the vitiligo cover lotion did ok on my arms but terrible on my face , the dye formula though makes me feel normal  and you dont have to worry about make up rubbing off or looking weird

thank you it has made my face feel natural again I really appreciate the help with the formula, I had to adjusted it a little to my skin color variation but what a difference only my family knows I have the stain on